Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe for the love of dip!
Sweet onions are paired with salty crisp bacon in this creamy dip.
Seriously, if I could live off appetizers, dips in particular, and desserts I would. Would you just look at that cheesy goodness?
I’ve been making this Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip for ages. It’s always at hit with men and women. Honestly, we entertain so much, I keep a journal of party food that I’ve served that everyone has raved about. This dip is one of them. By keeping a journal, if I have an event that I don’t have a lot of time to prep for I just grab it and can easily put together an all-star menu. If I do have a lot of time, I’ll try new recipes.
Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe
Creamy dips are my favorite and this Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe has a cream cheese base with lots of flavorful add-ins. Bacon, onion and mayonnaise all make this dip a winner.
Start with two large or three medium size Vidalia onions. You’ll need roughly 3 cups of onions. Vidalia onions are my favorite sweet onion, if you can’t find them, try a Texas sweet or other sweet onion. Dice the onions to 1/4 inch pieces. You do not want to have long pieces or rings of onion since it will be more difficult to dip. You’ll caramelize the onions by cooking them low and slow which brings out their natural sweetness. Caramelized onions is one of my guilty pleasures!
As the onions saute, cook the bacon then chop it small.
Next, all you have to do is mix it all together. I recommend having the cream cheese at room temperature. It mixes much easier into a smooth mixture at room temperature. I used an electric mixer, but you can certainly mix by hand. You could mix the bacon into the dip, but I prefer to sprinkle it on top. It looks prettier.
Simply serve Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe with any sturdy cracker.
Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe
Yield 4 cups
Sweet onions are paired with salty, crisp bacon in this cream cheese and cheddar cheese based dip
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 3 cups diced sweet onion (2 larege or 3 medium size onions)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon grease from bacon
- 5 slices bacon
- Cook bacon, drain on paper towels. When it's cool; dice.
- Saute' onions in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or 1 tablespoon grease from bacon) on medium heat until tender and golden brown. This will take about 10 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Using an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, hot sauce, and garlic powder until smooth. Add cheddar cheese and onion and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into a shallow 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot throughout. Remove from oven and sprinkle bacon on top.
- Serve warm or room temperature with crackers, tortilla chips or celery sticks.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you, Paula
Serving Size 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
You may also enjoy these recipes
Come back and leave me a comment below after you try this Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip Recipe!