Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits are crusty and spicy, similar to a classic biscuit, but better!
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits tastes much like a baked hushpuppy to me. Crispy on the outside, fluffy and full of flavor on the inside. These biscuits pack quit a flavorful punch!
Jalapenos add spice and buttermilk always gives breads a nice, soft and moist texture. The cheese makes them gooey on the inside while the bits of cheese on the outside get crisp and wonderful.
If you’re scared of making biscuits. Don’t fret, this recipe is more forgiving than a basic biscuit. I also find it easier to process any biscuit recipe in the food processor. It mixes the ingredients better and quicker without over working them than by when mixing by hand.
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits
There is more flour in this recipe than cornmeal. The cornmeal gives it a sturdy texture but it’s still tender and crumbly.
I could not stop eating them!
I made a Blue Cheese Biscuit and served it with pork tenderloin. It’s really tasty, but so many people don’t like blue cheese including my husband. This time I knew he’d love the mix-ins for Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits.
- 3 cups self rising flour
- ½ cup self-rising cornmeal
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup shortening, cut into pieces
- 1 and ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted* optional, for brushing on top after the biscuits are cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- To the flour, cut in cold butter and shortening with a pastry blender or in a food processor until mixture resembles small peas and dough is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk, stirring until just moistened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and jalapenos until just blended.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface and knead 3 to 4 times.
- Pat into a circle that is 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough with a 2 inch rond cutter. Reroll scraps and cut remaining dough.
- Place dough on baking sheet or oven-safe skillet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F 15 to 18 minutes or until golden browned.
- Brush tops with butter and serve.
If you like Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits, you may also like
Have you tried Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits before? Have you had biscuits with cornmeal in them before?