Cuban Sandwich on a Stick Appetizer is a fun entertaining idea that’s super-simple to make. With the traditional Cuban Sandwich ingredients, this fun appetizer is an eye-pleasing, mouth-watering hit!
I’ll have to give credit to Big Daddy for this Cuban Sandwich on a Stick Appetizer. He thought of it when he was grilling a pork loin for me. I had made a Muffuletta on a Stick for a party we gave and it was a success which led him to this concoction.
You can make any sandwich into an appetizer, simply by using the filling ingredients. It cuts out the carbs and down on portion size. You could also make complete sandwiches except in ‘minis’, stick a skewer through them and serve. Small plates of food are all the rage now. I know for me, I like to taste everything at a party. Making items smaller saves money for the host and calories for the guests.
Be sure to make my Honey Mustard Sauce to dip your Cuban Sandwich on a Stick Appetizer. The combo has all the sandwich flavors in one bite-size skewer.
Cuban Sandwich on a Stick Appetizer Tips
- This is more of a method than a recipe. I’ll describe it here, but also in the recipe box below so you’ll have a printable version, if needed.
- Ask you deli to slice the ham and cheese about 1 inch thick.
- I used a pre-marinated pork loin with a mesquite marinade. I had the pork loin leftover from these tacos. This is the perfect way to use leftover pork.
- Slice the cooked pork the same thickness as your ham and cheese.
- I used sweet gherkins pickles. A traditional Cuban sandwich has dill pickle slices. Fill free to use dill pickles if you prefer. I liked the look of the whole mini pickles
- 1 pound cooked pork loin, cut into cubes
- 1 pound cooked ham, cut into cubes
- ½ pound swiss cheese, cut into cubes
- 20 sweet gherkins pickles*
- approximately 20 short skewers or toothpicks
- Starting with pickle, layer the pickle, cheese, ham then pork onto skewer. Repeat.
- Serve with Honey Mustard Sauce.
This appetizer is good cold or at room temperature