Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans makes a hearty, healthy and economical meal!
I make Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans and serve them with Greek yogurt and cilantro on day one. As Encore meals I like to serve Black Bean and Butternut Squash Tacos and Spicy Black Bean Burgers. Both of these recipes will be posted in the next few days on Call Me PMc. Bookmark my site or sign up for my weekly email newsletter so you don’t miss a single new recipe!
Both of these black bean recipes start with this basic recipe for Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans. For this recipe, you simply put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 8 hours. That’s it.
Black beans make a healthier alternative for traditional ‘meaty’ meals. I try to serve one meatless meal a week. It’s about all I can get away with my house full of men. Slowly, I’m trying to get more vegetables into them!
Black beans are economical at pennies a serving and pack a nutritional punch as well! One 1/2 cup serving of black beans contains 14 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. They also contain phytonutrients like saponins, anthocyanins, kaempferol, and quercetin, all of which possess antioxidant properties.
Dried black beans are easy to cook. I prefer to cook them myself for recipes instead of using canned black beans. By doing this, I can control the sodium in them.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 slice bacon
- Prepare beans: Place the dried beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak 24 hours. Drain and rinse the beans before proceeding.
- Quick method (but I prefer the other way.) Add beans to a large pot and cover with hot water. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the beans to sit in the hot water for one hour. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water before proceeding with recipe.
- To slow cooker, add beans, water, bay leaf, salt, diced onion, chopped garlic and bacon.
- Cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Serve hot with sour cream, cilantro, pico, or your preference.
If you like Easy Slow Cooker Black Beans, you may also like
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday at Southern Plate