Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake is deliciously moist and flavorful.
My friends went nuts over this cake.
Sometimes, you just need a cake that will knock your socks off. This is that cake. It has a pound cake like texture with bursts of sweet, fresh strawberries in every bite.
I chose to top it lightly with a cream cheese glaze instead of frosting the entire cake. The cake has such a wonderful taste and texture, I didn’t want to hide it under a lot of sweet frosting.
I used butter and coconut oil in this cake. I love the flavor butter gives cakes, but I find coconut oil keeps them moist longer. Combining both gives me the best of both.
I also used Greek yogurt; it gives much the same flavor and texture to a cake that buttermilk or sour cream does. When you’re out of both (ahem) it makes for a great substitution. Greek yogurt, sour cream and buttermilk all give cakes a tender, soft texture.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 and ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 and ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1//2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 12 once fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 ounce cream cheese, room temperature and soft
- strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Sift together 2 and ¼ cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in lemon zest and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the yogurt, mixing until just incorporated.
- Toss the strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup flour, then fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whisk powdered sugar, heavy cream and cream cheese together until smooth. This glaze needs to be thin and pourable. Add more heavy cream if needed. Pour over warm cake.
- Garnish with strawberries if desired.