Lemon Cake is a tender white cake filled with tart lemon curd and covered with a fluffy whipped cream frosting.
This Lemon Cake makes me think of warm weather and spring time. It’s sunny and light and perfect for spring and Easter.
Lemon desserts are one of my favorite flavors. This layer cake has fluffy white cake layers that are very soft and tender. It’s the filled with a tart and tangy lemon curd. A flavorful, sweet frosting cascades over the entire cake.
The creamy sweet frosting contrasts nicely with the tangy lemon curds filling and the buttery, fluffy cake layers. It’s sweet, tart, melt-in-your-mouth goodness!
Check out these lemon desserts
- White cake mix prepared according to package instructions in 3 8-inch round pans.
- Lemon Curd Filling:
- 8 egg yolks
- 1½ c sugar
- ½ stick butter
- 3 lemons, zest grated and juiced
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pint chilled whipping cream
- 6 oz softened cream cheese
- 2½ c powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, zest grated and juiced
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Cool.
- For the lemon curd, place all ingredients in a double boiler over boiling water careful not to let water touch bowl. Cook and whisk until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and cool. When cool place plastic wrap directly on curd, then refrigerate.
- For the frosting, in a chilled bowl whip cream until stiff. In another mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Gently fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream. This makes enough frosting to frost the entire cake - between layers, sides and top. You'll have extra to hide and eat yourself that's great as a fruit dip or you can always half the ingredients and make less.
- To assemble, lay one cake layer on serving platter and spread lemon curd on top. Add second cake layer and spread lemon curd on top of it. Place last cake layer on top. Frost sides and top of cake with whipped cream mixture. Garnish with slice of lemon and mint leaves. Refrigerate until ready to serve.