Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Recipe with Balsamic Reduction is jaw-dropping-ly good!
This classic salad combination of sliced ripe tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves gets a Southern flair with ‘fried’ green tomatoes. They’re actually baked but still have that crunch on the outside minus all the fat calories from frying!
I drizzled a balsamic reduction over this elegant salad to kick up the flavor even more.
Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Recipe with Balsamic Reduction
I know me and I’d make myself a huge helping of this and have it as my meal, for a more reasonable portion stack or layer three slices of each for a tasty appetizer or side salad. It would make such a great presentation and starter when entertaining. I foresee serving it to supper club very soon!
Panko-crusted baked green tomato slices are crispy contrasting nicely with creamy, fresh mozzarella cheese.
Click here for Balsamic Reduction
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole grain or regular panko bread crumbs
- 2 8-ounce balls fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 basil leaves
- balsamic reduction
- OVEN FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place panko in a shallow bowl.
- Add eggs to another bowl.
- Slice tomatoes and pat dry.
- Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt.
- Dredge tomato slices in egg then in panko to coat evenly.
- Place on sheet tray.
- Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Layer in this order baked tomato slices, fresh mozzarella, basil leave, repeat.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction (see link in post)
You may also like these recipes (click photo for recipe)