This rich and delicious Beef Stew with Beer is cooked slowly until the beef is tender and falling apart. This soup makes a savory, quick and delicious meal any day of the week.
Beef and root vegetables simmered in beer makes them succulent and tender!
This stew has a tomato base with beer, Worcestershire sauce, and beef bouillon that make it a savory stew with a medley of rich flavors.
It was pleased with the way it tasted. I cooked it low and slow for a couple of hours. It had a rich deep flavor and I couldn’t taste beer. You could substitute any root vegetable, but I prefer potatoes and carrots, I’m just a classic stew type gal…except for the beer part! To be honest with you, I thought it was even better the second day. If you’re not a beer drinker, not to worry, you won’t even know it’s in there. I couldn’t smell it. I couldn’t taste it. You could always substitute beef stock for the beer.
Rich and layered with flavors, this Beef Stew with Beer will warm you on a cold day.
Beef Stew with Beer
- 2 lbs chuck roast cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 oz can of tomato paste
- 12 oz beer not light
- 1 Tablespoon beef bouillon paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and diced
- In pot add onion cook 2 minutes. Add garlic cook another minute. Add tomato paste to the pot. Stir it into the onions and let it cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the beer and bouillon; stir. Add Worcestershire and sugar. Add beef back to pot, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, covered 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.
- After 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours, add the diced carrots and coever and cook 10 minutes. Then add the potatoes, stir, cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Stew will be thick. Add additional beef stock (or water and beef bouillon) if necessary.
- Test carrots and potatoes for doneness by piercing with a fork. Stew will be done when carrots and potatoes are tender.
This would be great served with Oriental Salad