Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe is a combination of deliciously crumbly shortbread, smooth, gooey caramel, salty, crunchy pretzels, and a drizzle of dark chocolate. It’s a dangerously delicious, tasty treat that everyone loves.
I’ve been wanting to make this Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe forever! I originally got the idea for it from the Cooking Channel show Unique Sweets. Do you ever watch it? I get hungry every time I watch it. Kind of like when I’m cruising on Pinterest! Now that will make you hungry too!
These Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread bars have a shortbread crust. It’s actually my shortbread cookie recipe pressed into an 9×13 inch pan. I adore shortbread cookies, both the dough and cooked. (Does that sound weird? My boys and I get as much cookie dough as we do cooked cookies when we make cookies together. It’s our thing!)
Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread
- One very important tip, that I actually failed to do this time. I swear I’ll never forget again! Line your pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray the pan, then spray the paper with non-stick spray. They will come out of the pan so much cleaner and easier if you’ll do this. Plus, the pan will be easier to clean as well.
- Also, use real butter. It makes all the difference in shortbread recipes.
- I used Wilton candy melts for the chocolate, you can use chocolate chips or chocolate baking bar.
- Be patient when cooking the condensed milk. Stir it constantly and don’t walk away from it. It really scorches easily.
Crunchy Millionaire's Shortbread - A buttery shortbread crust is topped with creamy caramel, salty pretzels and a drizzle of chocolate.
- 1 cup butter no substitutions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 14- ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick spray.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk and butter. slowly bring mixture to a low boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
- This will take about 15 minutes. Stir constantly and do not walk away, caramel scorches easily.
- Pour caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Immediately top with crushed pretzels and gently press pretzels into caramel.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth. Stir between each 30-second interval.
- Transfer chocolate to a zip-top bag.
- Snip corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over bars.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.