Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe is a combination of deliciously crumbly shortbread, smooth, gooey caramel, salty, crunchy pretzels, and a drizzle of dark chocolate. It’s a dangerously delicious, tasty treat that everyone loves.
I’ve been wanting to make this Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe forever! I originally got the idea for it from the Cooking Channel show Unique Sweets. Do you ever watch it? I get hungry every time I watch it. Kind of like when I’m cruising on Pinterest! Now that will make you hungry too!
These Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread bars have a shortbread crust. It’s actually my shortbread cookie recipe pressed into an 9×13 inch pan. I adore shortbread cookies, both the dough and cooked. (Does that sound weird? My boys and I get as much cookie dough as we do cooked cookies when we make cookies together. It’s our thing!)
Crunchy Millionaire’s Shortbread
- One very important tip, that I actually failed to do this time. I swear I’ll never forget again! Line your pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray the pan, then spray the paper with non-stick spray. They will come out of the pan so much cleaner and easier if you’ll do this. Plus, the pan will be easier to clean as well.
- Also, use real butter. It makes all the difference in shortbread recipes.
- I used Wilton candy melts for the chocolate, you can use chocolate chips or chocolate baking bar.
- Be patient when cooking the condensed milk. Stir it constantly and don’t walk away from it. It really scorches easily.
Crunchy Millionaire's Shortbread
- 1 cup butter no substitutions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 14- ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick spray.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk and butter. slowly bring mixture to a low boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
- This will take about 15 minutes. Stir constantly and do not walk away, caramel scorches easily.
- Pour caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Immediately top with crushed pretzels and gently press pretzels into caramel.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth. Stir between each 30-second interval.
- Transfer chocolate to a zip-top bag.
- Snip corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over bars.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container.