Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes were a hit at my boys’ Valentine parties. The frosting is rich and creamy with that beloved Oreo flavor. I used a basic chocolate cake for the cupcakes.
You’ve got to make these cupcakes. The moist chocolate cupcake has a mild chocolate flavor. It can be made into three 8-inch layers for a stacked cake, or in a 9×13-inch sheet cake, or 24 standard cupcakes.
The Oreo cream frosting tastes just like the cream centers in an Oreo cookie. Honestly, they taste like an ultra decadent version of the creamy centers. I used my basic Decorator’s Icing for the frosting and folded in crush Oreo cookies. It is irresistible and very difficult to not eat this frosting straight from the bowl.
One tip I recommend when making this frosting, don’t crush the Oreos fine. Leave them a little coarse. As well, don’t mix them completely into the frosting, I prefer to leave it streaking where there are bits of Oreo showing and steaks for white frosting showing.
Oreos make a great ingredient in desserts if I can keep my boys from eating them before I can use them in a dessert! I made an Oreo Cookie Cobbler that’s a family favorite. I highly suggest you try it. Another great dessert with Oreo cookies is my Oreo Cookie Cups. It makes a good individual sized dessert.
Do you like Oreos? Do you eat them whole or break them apart and lick the center out? Haha. I’m a purist and eat them whole. I do love Oreos baked into desserts and especially this frosting.
Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
You've got to make these cupcakes. The moist chocolate cupcake has a mild chocolate flavor. And, the frosting is irresistible!
Servings: 24 cupcakes
- Oreo Frosting
- 2 one lb packages powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs about 12 cookiesChocolate Cup Cake
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Directions for Frosting
- Process Oreos in a food processor into crumbs.
- Beat shortening until smooth. With mixer on low, add sugar 1 cup at a time. Blend each addition until smooth. Add water and vanilla and mix until smooth. If mixture is too thick add 1 T of water until desired consistency. Fold in cookie crumbs.
- Tip: Make beforehand and store in an air tight container until needed.
- Frost cookies. You can either spread frosting on with a cake spatula or decorator bag and tip. I used Wilton 4B frosting tip.Cupcakes
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat butter and shortening until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating until blended after each addition
- Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda ; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Fold in egg whites. Using an ice cream scoop fill cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before frosting.
- When cool, frost with Oreo Frosting
Tried this recipe? I'd love to hear from you. Comment below or mention & tag me on InstagramMention @Paula_callmepmc or tag #callmepmc!
©CallMePMc.com All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.