I adapted this Italian Bread Salad from a recipe by Ina Garten substituting my favorite vegetables and adding cubed mozzarella cheese and ham.
Panzanella (Italian Bread Salad)
For the vinaigrette:
- 6 T olive oil
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
For the salad:
- 3 T olive oil
- 4 c French bread cubed
- 1 large head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cucumber seeded and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red yellow or orange pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 large plum tomatoes chopped
- 20 large basil leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 T capers drained
- 2 c cubed ham
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese cubed
- 3 green onions chopped OR 1/2 c red onion, sliced thin
- Heat the 3 T oil in a large saute pan. Add bread. Cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Set bread cubes aside.
- Whisk together all Vinaigrette ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion, basil, capers, ham and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Toss vegetables with vinaigrette and allow to sit about an hour. Fifteen minutes before serving add bread cubes and toss.
This salad is hearty enough to be a meal, but today I’m serving it with Cheezy Chicken