What did you do this weekend? Did you Derby? Did you Cinco de Mayo?
Yes!! We did it all! And, I loved every minute of all the celebrations. I don’t know about you, but I get a little crazy when it’s starts getting warm weather. Summer is just so much more fun than the rest of the year….well, except for Football Season (yes, in the South, you capitalize Football Season! It’s that important.) But, then Christmas and New Year’s is fun…. ok, maybe it’s just January and February that I don’t like. Any who, as I referenced in this post, May is fun, but May is always super busy. I like to plan really easy meals for us. If I don’t have a plan, we tend to grab drive through which is not as healthy and more expensive.
I love Tex-Mex, and I love that everyone in the family loves Tex-Mex. Although, we all enjoy different variations of the same dishes. Take these Shrimp Quesadilla for instance, the recipe below is how Big Daddy and I eat them. Wesley would prefer green peppers as well. I, on the other hand, do not like green bell peppers! Since I’m the cook, I make them how I like them. Ryder would eat this quesadilla with shrimp and cheese only with a side of salsa to dip the quesadilla in. And Lincoln, well… he likes his Shrimp Quesadillas without the shrimp and veggies and please don’t let cilantro or mango touch his! I think most people would call that a Cheese Quesadilla!
Even though we all like it different, it’s still quick, easy and much more economical than eating out.
This is the only seasonings I used
Saute onions, peppers and jalapeno
You could make salsa verde from scratch, but I didn’t have time. Purchase a good quality one and you’re good to go.
Add salsa verde and stir
On med-hi start layering the quesadilla in the pan
Layer tortilla, cheese, veggies, shrimp and more cheese and top with tortilla
Toast until cheese melts
- 1/2 lb shrimp peeled
- 1/4 c red pepper diced
- 1/4 c onion diced
- 1 cup monterrey jack cheese shredded
- 1 T jalapeno
- 1 T oil
- 2 T roasted salsa verde
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 4 10 inch flour tortillas
- 1 mango diced
- 1 T fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat a sauce pan to med-high. Add 1 T oil, when oil is hot, add red pepper, onion and jalapeno. Add paprika, cumin and black pepper. Saute' 4 to 5 minutes until tender crisp. Add salsa verde and shrimp. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and curl into a 'C'.
- Remove vegetables and shrimp from pan. Add one flour tortilla to pan. Top with 1/4 c cheese, half the vegetable and shrimp mixture and another 1/4 c cheese. Top with one flour tortilla.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Flip to second side and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove from pan, slice into wedges.
- Serve topped with fresh mango, salsa verde and cilantro
One year ago I posted this on the blog!