This cake is moist and not overly sweet, but the addition of rich and luscious caramel poured over the hot cake makes this Sticky Toffee Date Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce one of the best cakes you’ll ever eat. AND, you’ll never guess the ingredient that makes this cake moist and yummy!
My husband and I were talking to a friend recently when he inquired about Call Me PMc. I was eager to talk about it (of course!). He asked what I’d been cooking and sharing lately. My husband jumped in and answered “desserts! That’s all she makes”. It isn’t the only thing I make, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve made and shared a lot of desserts during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. In fact, this is not secret with any of my readers, I love desserts! I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I love to eat desserts and I love to bake desserts!
Here’s the thing, I enjoy running. I enjoy fruit. I like salads. I, basically, eat good excluding the desserts. Now, I feel like if I get a good run in, I can enjoy a small dessert. If I have a salad for lunch, I can have a little dessert for snack. That should work, right? It makes perfect logic to me. I save calories one place so I can enjoy them on the things I like.
For instance, I like to splurge on this Sticky Toffee Cake. Without the Caramel Sauce, this cake is dense and not very sweet. In fact, it’s almost like a bread. After I made it, I thought I had made a bad decision on this cake. But, magic happened once I poured the Caramel Sauce over the hot cake. Actually, it took all the willpower I could muster to not drink the Caramel Sauce all by itself!
It’s that good all by itself. It’s even better saturating this cake!
Adding a scoop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream really brings out the flavors.
This Sticky Toffee Cake is one of those cakes that gets better the longer it sits. I find that often in cakes that contain fruit. It’ll stay good stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, but it won’t last that long. To serve it after it has cooled, I place each slice in the microwave for 25 to 30 seconds to warm it. You may find you like it this way as well. I then put the scoop of whipped cream on top and maybe an extra drizzle of warmed Caramel Sauce.
So, what is that special ingredient?
Dates! Yes, now, don’t be intimidated! Or, think that’s ‘yucky’! I chopped them really small. You couldn’t really tell they were in the cake, but they added a nice, rich flavor. I didn’t leave big chunks of dates. Enjoy my Sticky Toffee Date Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce!
Caramel Poke Cake
- 2 cup boiling water
- 8 oz dried dates pitted and chopped
- 1 baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 recipe Caramel Sauce
- Soak the dates in the hot water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Beat butter and sugar until white and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add eggs and beat.
- Add dates and liquid and mix until combined.
- Add flour/baking powder mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make caramel sauce.
- When cake comes out of oven, poke holes in it using a skewer. Pour 1/3 of sauce over cake and allow caramel to soak in. Allow to cool 5 minutes and pour another 1 cup of sauce over cake.
- Reserve remaining caramel sauce to serve with cake.
- Cake is great warm with an extra drizzle of caramel sauce and whipped cream.
Be sure to get the Brown Sugar Caramel recipe.
One month ago: White Chocolate Chip Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
One year ago: Orange & Jalapeno Marinated Grilled Flat Iron Steak
More recipes you may enjoy!