Sticky Toffee Date Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce one of the best cakes you’ll ever eat. AND, you’ll never guess the ingredient that makes this cake moist and yummy!
This cake is moist and not overly sweet, but the addition of rich and luscious caramel poured over the hot cake makes this amazing!
My husband and I were talking to a friend recently when he inquired about Call Me PMc. I was eager to talk about it (of course!). He asked what I’d been cooking and sharing lately. My husband jumped in and answered “desserts! That’s all she makes”. It isn’t the only thing I make, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve made and shared a lot of desserts during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. In fact, this is no secret with any of my readers, I love desserts! I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I love to eat desserts and I love to bake desserts!
Here’s the thing, I enjoy running. I enjoy fruit and salads. Basically, I eat well excluding the desserts. Now, I feel like if I get a good run in, I can enjoy a small dessert. If I have a salad for lunch, I can have a little dessert for a snack. That should work, right? It makes perfect logic to me. I save calories in one place so I can enjoy them on the things I like.
Sticky Toffee Date Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce
For instance, I like to splurge on this Sticky Toffee Cake. Without the Caramel Sauce, this cake is dense and not very sweet. In fact, it’s almost like bread. After I made it, I thought I had made a bad decision on this cake. But, magic happened once I poured the Caramel Sauce over the hot cake. Actually, it took all the willpower I could muster to not drink the Caramel Sauce all by itself!
It’s that good all by itself. It’s even better to saturate this cake!
Adding a scoop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream really brings out the flavors.
This Sticky Toffee Cake is one of those cakes that gets better the longer it sits. I find that often in cakes that contain fruit. It’ll stay good stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, but it won’t last that long. To serve it after it has cooled, I place each slice in the microwave for 25 to 30 seconds to warm it. You may find you like it this way as well. I then put the scoop of whipped cream on top and maybe an extra drizzle of warmed Caramel Sauce.
So, what is that special ingredient?
Dates! Yes, now, don’t be intimidated! Or, think that’s ‘yucky’! I chopped them really small. You couldn’t really tell they were in the cake, but they added a nice, rich flavor. I didn’t leave big chunks of dates. Enjoy my Sticky Toffee Date Cake with Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce!
Get the Brown Sugar Caramel recipe here.
You’ll want to make these recipes too
- White Chocolate Chip Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Orange & Jalapeno Marinated Grilled Flat Iron Steak
- Cranberry Eggnog Crumb Coffee Cake
- Upside-Down Maple Pear Skillet Cake
- Amaretto Pound Cake
Caramel Poke Cake
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Soak the dates in the hot water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add dates and liquid and mix until combined.
- Add flour/baking powder mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make caramel sauce.
- When cake comes out of oven, poke holes in it using a skewer. Pour 1/3 of sauce over cake and allow caramel to soak in. Allow to cool 5 minutes and pour another 1 cup of sauce over cake.
- Reserve remaining caramel sauce to serve with cake.
- Cake is great warm with an extra drizzle of caramel sauce and whipped cream.