Caramelized onions brings tons of flavor and amps up traditional cornbreadin my Sweet Onion Cornbread recipe.
Well, I hate to admit when I make a mistake. This post was supposed to be about Broccoli Cornbread. But, I accidently picked up frozen spinach instead of broccoli at the grocery. So, I had to get creative. Sweet Onion Cornbread is what I came up with! Sometimes, kitchen accidents turn out to be, well, not so bad!!
Sweet Onion Cornbread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups diced Vidalia onions
- 1 package Jeffy cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Saute' 1/2 cup butter with 2 diced Vidalia onions until carmelized.
- Mix until blended the Jeffy cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, and caramelized onions.
- Fill muffin tins or 2 small cast iron skillets 3/4 full with mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 to 3 minutes in the pan before inverting on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or room temperature.