Panzanella or Italian Bread Salad is equally good with grilled meats or oven-roasted dinners.
Servings 8 servings
For the vinaigrette:
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the salad:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups bread artisan sourdough or ciabatta, cubed
- 1 large head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium bell pepper red, yellow, or orange, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large tomatoes Heirloom, Roma, or grape, chopped
- 20 large basil leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons capers drained
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese cubed
- 3 medium green onions chopped OR 1/2 c red onion, sliced thin
Heat the 3 Tablespoons oil in a large saute pan. Add bread. Cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Set bread cubes aside.
Whisk together all Vinaigrette ingredients.
In a large bowl, mix lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion, basil, capers, ham and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Toss vegetables with vinaigrette and allow to sit about an hour. Fifteen minutes before serving add bread cubes and toss.
Calories: 618kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 1554mg | Potassium: 727mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 8358IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 356mg | Iron: 6mg