Caramelized Vidalia Onion Casserole
A meatless casserole, Caramelized Vidalia Onion Casserole is rich, decadent, and filling. t's great as an entree or side.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 to 3 large Vidalia onions or other sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 8 ounces pasta any shape
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced (just of pinch of dried rosemary)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces gruyere shredded
- 6 ounces fontina shredded
In a large pot, cook pasta according to directions on package.
Drain and set pasta aside.
Turn pot to low and add 2 tablespoon canola oil.
Add onions and cook on low 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized. Stir frequently.
Add 1 cup chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, rosemary, and red pepper flakes.
Cook until liquid has reduced by half.
Stir in cream, pasta and cheeses.
(Casserole can be covered and refrigerated at this point and baked later if desired.)
Bake at 400 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
- optional, 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 390mg | Potassium: 255mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 833IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 378mg | Iron: 1mg