Zucchini and Squash Ricotta Pasta Casserole Recipe is the ideal pasta recipe for fall and winter.
In-season zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash are smothered with a homemade cream sauce and tossed with vegetables. It’s filling and comforting!
This cheesy pasta is the perfect thing when you are craving comfort food and is surprisingly light for a baked pasta dish.
I have always loved pasta. I just adore noodles covered in a cheese sauce. However, as I’ve gotten older I enjoy more than just pasta and cheese. Vegetables add flavor and nutrients to the pasta while you still get the comfort food factor of it.
Sometimes, nothing is better than a big warm bowl of pasta. And for me, when I am really craving comfort food, nothing beats a pasta dish full of cheese, sauce, and just the right amount of vegetables to balance everything out.
Zucchini and Squash Ricotta Pasta Casserole Recipe
I love mixing in-season vegetables with pasta. You can use almost any vegetable, make a cream sauce, add it to pasta and have a great meatless meal or side dish.
You can easily make this gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
zucchini and squash ricotta pasta casserole recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion about 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12- ounce pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1 and 1/2 cups yellow squash diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups zucchini squash diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups butternut squash diced
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to a large, 12 inch, skillet.
- Saute onions and squash in oil until fork tender.
- Add garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan.
- To pan, add butter and allow to melt.
- Whisk in flour. Whisk and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and cook 3 minutes until sauce begins to get thick.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in ricotta and stir until cheese melts.
- Add vegetables back into pan with sauce.
- Stir to coat.
- Stir in pasta.
- Serve hot.
- *Optional top with 2 cups mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese melts. Serve hot.