Zucchini and Squash Ricotta Pasta Casserole Recipe is the ideal pasta recipe for fall and winter.
In-season zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash are smothered with a homemade cream sauce and tossed with vegetables.
Filling and comforting!
I have always loved pasta. My favorite pasta is covered in a cheese sauce. As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to appreciate more than just pasta and cheese. Vegetables add flavor and nutrients to pasta while you still get the comfort food factor of it.
I love mixing in-season vegetables with pasta. You can use almost any vegetable, make a cream sauce, add it to pasta and have a great meatless meal or side dish.
zucchini and squash ricotta pasta casserole recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion about 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12- ounce pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1 and 1/2 cup yellow squash diced
- 1 and 1/2 cup zucchini squash diced
- 1 and 1/2 cup butternut squash diced
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to a large, 12 inch, skillet.
- Saute onions and squash in oil until fork tender.
- Add garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan.
- To pan, add butter and allow to melt.
- Whisk in flour. Whisk and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and cook 3 minutes until sauce begins to get thick.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in ricotta and stir until cheese melts.
- Add vegetables back into pan with sauce.
- Stir to coat.
- Stir in pasta.
- Serve hot.
- *Optional top with 2 cups mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese melts. Serve hot.
Zucchini and Squash Ricotta Pasta Casserole Recipe
You can easily make this gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.