20-minute Sausage Cabbage and Potatoes, this stove-top casserole is quick and easy to make. It’s a tasty recipe for busy weeknight meals for the family.
You can easily adapt this to a Keto diet plan by omitting the potatoes. Furthermore, if you’re not a fan of cabbage alter the recipe and enjoy Sausage Potato Hash instead.
20-minute Sausage Cabbage and Potatoes
This is a simple recipe with inexpensive ingredients. It’s hearty and satisfying too. Therefore, it’s on regular rotation here.
I like more potatoes and sausage than cabbage, but you can really use any ratio you like. For my family, I use two pounds of potatoes, two pounds of sausage, and half a cabbage.
As well, I use one small onion. You can omit if you don’t like it. Onion flavors it nicely and gets tender so you don’t really notice since it has the same texture as the cabbage.
Fresh minced garlic is essential in my opinion.
Is cabbage healthy?
Yes! Just like other fruits and vegetables, cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Even though cabbage is very low in calories, it has an impressive nutrient profile. It’s packed with vitamin C, vitamin B6, and folate. As well, cabbage is high in fiber and contains powerful antioxidants. Cabbage also contains small amounts of other micronutrients, including vitamin A, iron and riboflavin.
In fact, just 1 cup (89 grams) of raw green cabbage contains:
- Calories: 22
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin K: 85% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 54% of the RDI
- Folate: 10% of the RDI
- Manganese: 7% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 6% of the RDI
- Calcium: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 4% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 3% of the RDI
This is an easy stove-top recipe. However, you can easily adapt it for camping!
How to make cabbage and sausage in foil packets
Alternatively, you can make this recipe in foil packs for camping or in the oven.
- First, preheat the grill or oven to 400°F
- Cut your ingredients. I prefer Yukon gold potatoes that don’t have to be peeled. Cut them into chunks, shred the cabbage, dice the onion, and cut the sausages into bite-size pieces.
- Use your favorite sausage. I like Bryan smoked sausage. Bryan Lil Smokies wouldn’t require slicing. Chorizo, Italian sausage, or kielbasa would be good choices.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil. Add salt, pepper, and minced garlic and toss to coat.
- Divide the ingredients evenly between six or eight foil packs. Seal and place on a baking pan.
- Place on the grill or fire.
- The foil packs should be ready in 30 to 35 minutes. Check the potatoes for doneness.
20-minute Sausage Cabbage and Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes I like Yukon gold. cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pounds sausage sliced
- ½ head green cabbage sliced into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced, about ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano dried
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Place in them in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 3 minutes, stir gently, then microwave another 3 minutes. You want the potatoes still a little firm at this point.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil. Add the onions. Saute for a few minutes, until the onion is barely tender and lightly browned. Add the garlic and the kielbasa. Cook while stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine, add 2 tablespoons water to the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover with lid. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted.
- When the potatoes are tender, add them to the skillet. Toss to coat, adding a small additional drizzle of oil only if needed. , stir and continue cooking until lightly browned.
- The potatoes should be cooked by now. With a spoon push the cabbage and sausage to the side and Spread the potatoes across the bottom of the pan. Allow them to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed. Serve hot.