Homemade All Purpose Steak Seasoning is a simple combination of spices that brings out the best flavors in steak. Of course, it’s good on more than just steak!
Making a seasoning blend from scratch is economical and you control exactly what’s in them. Most of them have too much salt for my liking.
Furthermore, grilling steak, pork chops, etc is such ‘guy thing’, I love to make seasoning blends to give as gifts on Father’s Day, Christmas, and birthdays. I mean, even if a guy doesn’t cook anything else, a lot of them love to grill. Am I right?
If you like to smoke pork ribs and Boston butts, try my Barbecue Seasoning Rub.
How to Season Steak
As with cooking anything, seasoning is personal preference but I’ll offer suggestions based on the size of the steak. With a thicker cut of steak, 1.5 to 2-inches thick, you can be pretty liberal with the seasoning. You’ll want to thoroughly cover the surface of the meat so that the seasoning flavors each bite.
Most noteworthy, as with any seasoning, you can add to but not take away. Therefore, start with a light touch and add to if necessary. As well, press the seasoning into the meat with your fingertips. This gets the seasoning to adhere to the meat and get into the meat fibers
Tips for making the best seasoning blend
- Always use fresh spices and seasonings. Check the date or write the date you purchased it on the container. Toss after it’s six months old.
- This recipe can be multiplied easily. Double or triple the recipe for gift giving.
- You’ll need measuring spoons for this recipe. The shape of these allows them to get into narrow jar openings.
- For gifting, I like these spice jars.
Homemade All Purpose Steak Seasoning is a combination of spices chosen to bring out the best flavor in your steaks. This recipe is made of common ingredients already in your pantry.
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoons dried mustard
- 2 tablespoons parsley
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.