Individual Snickers Chocolate Layer Cake screams dig-into-me-and-eat-me-now! The silky smooth creaminess of the chocolate whipped cream contrast nicely with the crunch of the nuts and chocolate chips. Pair that with interesting and unique caramel bits makes each spoonful of this mini layer cake the perfect bite!
Some times you don’t need a huge cake, even though they’re impressive to look at they can be messy to serve. I find it awkward at times if I’m having a dinner party to cut a big layer cake.
Enter individual sized layer cakes!
Why I like individual mini layer cakes
- Every one gets their own cake, great if you don’t like to share desserts (like me)!
- There’s more icing on a mini layered cake
- They’re cute!
- Mini layered cakes look impressive. Take note, restaurants love to serve individual dessert portions!
- Individual small cakes make a great ‘Make your own’ dessert buffet. Set up a dessert table with small cakes and various toppings and let guests built their own cake! How much fun is that?!
I made Individual Snickers Chocolate Layer Cake for a recent dinner party. Because I was short on time, I started with a cake mix and pumped up the flavor. I baked the layers in a 11×15 inch sheet pan. By doing this, the layers were thinner than when baked in traditional 9×13 or 8 inch pans. This makes the layers easy to layer and build taller if desired. Plus, you can add four or five layers if you want. Adding more layers means more icing…that means you think like I do, let’s be besties!!
After your cake is done, the rest is easy! I used easy ingredients for the icing and extras to give me the Snickers candy bar flavors. A chocolate ganache, caramel and peanuts were my trifecta.
Another great little tip, use the pieces of cake that’s left when you cut the circles to make a trifles!
- 1 package 18.25 devil's food cake mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil may substitute veretable, corn, sunflower)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extractChocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons milk or waterChocolate Whipped Cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces whipped cream I used Cool Whip brandAdditional ingredients
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Caramel Bits
- 1/2 cup whipped cream homemade or bought, again I used Cool Whip brand
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Prepare a 11x15 inch sheet pan with non-stick spray. You can even line with parchment paper for easier cleanup.
In the bowl of your mixer, add cake mix, cocoa, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract. On low, mix until everything is combined. Turn speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
Using an offset spatula, spread evenly in pan, batter will be a thin layer.
Bake 14 to 15 minutes or until center springs back when touched or a wooden pick comes out clean when stuck in middle of cake.
Allow to cool on wire rack.Chocolate Ganache
Add chocolate chips, butter, syrup and milk (or water) to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals. Stir completely between each interval until chips are melted. It may only take 60 total depending on your microwave, be careful not to over-cook.Chocolate Whipped Cream
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stir until smooth, allow to cool slightly. Stir chocolate into whipped cream until well incorporated. Refrigerate any unused whipped cream. This is great on Chocolate WafflesAssemble Cake
Spread 1 tablespoon chocolate whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate ganache on one layer. Top with a sprinkle of nuts, caramel bits and chocolate chips, repeat two more times so that you have a three layer cake. Repeat process with other cake cutouts until all the cake is used.
Refrigerate cakes until ready to serve or refrigerate up to 3 days.
For the chocolate cake, you may use your favorite recipe or my short-cut version. By spreading the batter in a 11x15 inch sheet pan and using a 3 inch cookie cutter, I got 20 circles. Depending on how many layers you use in each cake as to how many cakes you'll get.