Overnight Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole is a user-friendly casserole recipe that’s simple to put together and tastes amazing! It’s loaded with sausage, cheese, and bacon and is my favorite make-ahead breakfast recipe!
You’ll love this for the holidays as you can put it together the night before. Serve it with Fresh Fruit Salad for an easy breakfast!
This is a family favorite recipe and I make it for dinner, or brinner as the boys call it, a lot. Breakfast casseroles are super convenient to make for tailgating if you have an early game and, of course, for Christmas morning, weekends, or when you have overnight guests!
HOW TO MAKE OVERNIGHT SAUSAGE EGG BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
If you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast for your family this recipe will be perfect for you.
- Cook the sausage.
- Place bread in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the bread, sausage, egg mixture, cheese, and bacon in a casserole dish.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
I have two goals with it comes to cooking and eating. I want something easy to prepare and I want to eat with my family.
Overnight Breakfast Sausage Casserole makes a time-saving breakfast or dinner. You can simply make it 6 to 8 hours ahead of time, then bake when you’re ready.
One of the ingredients that also help in the meal prep of this casserole recipe is using Bacon Bits. instead of cooking and crumbling bacon. Although, you can totally do that if you prefer. Real bacon bits cuts down on the prep time.
I do find that prepared bacon bits are a little saltier than cooking bacon myself. With this in mind, you may want to hold off adding salt to the casserole. Each person can add it, if needed.
Any ‘day old’ bread will work for this recipe. I used old hotdog buns. As well, I ‘eyeball’ the amount and put a layer in a 7×11-inch casserole dish.
‘eat with my family‘
As I mentioned above easy meals and eating with my family are important to me. I’m a big advocate of eating meals together as a family and my goal to eat at least 4 meals a week together. It’s been relatively easy so far for us to do that. I know as the boys get older, it’ll become more difficult. It’s important, as studies have should, so I encourage you to eat family meals together… and of course, make this casserole for a meal!
Family meals eaten at home have been proven to benefit the health and wellness of children and adolescents, to fight obesity, substance abuse and to make families stronger – creating a positive impact on our communities and our nation as a whole
WHILE YOU’RE HERE CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
Click on the photo for the recipe
Overnight Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound sausage pork, turkey, or chicken
- 6 slices bread cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk whole or 2%
- 1/4 cup bell pepper green, red, yellow or orange, diced
- 2 tablespoon green onions sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard like this
- 1/2 cup bacon bits I use this brand.
- Cook sausage, pepper and onion in a medium-size pan until sausage is no longer pink, drain.
- Spray a 7x11-inch casserole pan with non-stick spray.
- Layer bread, sausage mixture, and cheese in the dish.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt, and mustard together.
- Pour egg mixture over bread.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate six to eight hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Baek 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.