Tender, fall-off-the-bone Braised Korean Spicy and Sweet Short Ribs are sautéed then slow-cooked in a rich Korean marinade.
BRAISED KOREAN SPICY AND SWEET SHORT RIBS
These beef short ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender and flavorful with little effort on your part! Whether you make them in the oven or slow cooker the only real ‘work’ on your part is searing the meat and mixing the sauce. Then, low heat and time are all it takes. You really can’t rush short ribs.
I made an Asian inspired spicy and sweet sauce with soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper. The sauce reduces down creating a sticky glaze that coats the ribs perfectly.
I like to serve these Korean Spicy Sweet Short Ribs with rice or noodles. The sauce sticks to the rice or noodles and creates a flavor-filled bite.
WHAT ARE SHORT RIBS?
Short ribs come from the beef chuck portion of a beef animal. They are the five (5) short ribs from the chuck section that is too small to be used for good steaks. So, in short, short ribs are just that: short ribs.
There are two ways to cut short ribs. The first way is called traditional English-style. The English-style way of cutting beef short ribs has small, 1 bone chunks of delicious chuck meat. These chunks of meat are great for using to braise or make slow cooker short ribs, and look like this:
You can also cut short ribs BBQ-style or flanken-style. The bbq short ribs style cuts the ribs into strips containing 3 bones and the meat between those ribs. This is a beautiful presentation and also perfect for braising or slow cooking.
Short ribs come from the area between the chuck and rib, they combine characteristics of both cuts. Short ribs get the rich marbling of rib steaks with the deep beefy flavor of chuck roast. They’re an indulgent treat for anyone who loves a hearty beef meal.
HOW DO YOU COOK BRAISED KOREAN SPICY AND SWEET SHORT RIBS?
- Traditionally, you braise beef short ribs. You sear the meat then bake it in a liquid.
- As well, you can cook short ribs in a slow cooker.
I used both methods by searing the short ribs, then I cooked them in a slow cooker in a sweet and spicy sauce.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can braise them in the oven. You’ll need a large pot or
Cook in the oven at 350°F for 2.5 to 3 hours.
Remove lid and cook another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice or ramen noodles.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs
- Red Wine Pomegranate Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Best Damn Short Ribs
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Perfect Medium-Rare Prime Rib
Braised Korean Spicy and Sweet Short Ribs
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar light or dark, packed
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger grated
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes more if you like spicy
- 2 medium green onions sliced, for garnish
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Pat the short ribs dry and sprinkle black pepper on all sides.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of sesame oil to a large Dutch oven or skillet. Sear the short ribs on all sides and remove and place in a slow cooker.
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper in a small bowl. Whisk and pour over the seared short ribs in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Remove ribs from crockpot and serve hot over a bed of rice with a garnish of green onions and sesame seeds.
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper in a small bowl. Place ribs in a 5-quart slow cooker and pour the sauce over the ribs. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker. Serve hot over a bed of rice or noodles with extra sauce poured over them. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
You can find more recipes at my Recipe Index