Balsamic Braised Short Ribs, you can’t go wrong with short ribs braised in balsamic vinegar cooked until they fall off the bone! This flavor twist added to the braised short rib recipe takes them up several notches. They’re festive enough for celebrations yet easy enough for weeknight dinners.
This recipe is Keto friendly!
BALSAMIC BRAISED SHORT RIBS
These shorts ribs are juicy, tender, full of flavor, and surprisingly easy to make. Short ribs look intimidating and impressive, but they’re very simple to make. There’s a little hands-on time in the beginning, but then the oven does the rest. They cook low and slow until falling off the bone!
You can easily double this recipe if needed. (Leftovers are terrific as is or on a sandwich.)
WHAT ARE SHORT RIBS?
(I’ve shared this before, but some people don’t know and won’t click over to my other post.)
Short ribs come from the beef chuck portion of a beef animal. They are the five (5) short ribs from the chuck section that is too small to be used for good steaks. So, in short, short ribs are just that: short ribs.
There are two ways to cut short ribs. The first way is called traditional English-style. The English-style way of cutting beef short ribs has small, 1 bone chunks of delicious chuck meat. These chunks of meat are great for using to braise or make slow cooker short ribs, and look like this:
You can also cut short ribs BBQ-style or flanken-style. The bbq short ribs style cuts the ribs into strips containing 3 bones and the meat between those ribs. This is a beautiful presentation and also perfect for braising or slow cooking.
Short ribs come from the area between the chuck and rib, they combine characteristics of both cuts. Short ribs get the rich marbling of rib steaks with the deep beefy flavor of chuck roast. They’re an indulgent treat for anyone who loves a hearty beef meal.
CAN I COOK BALSAMIC BRAISED SHORT RIBS IN THE SLOW COOKER?
- I still recommend searing the short ribs on the stovetop before adding them to the slow cooker. Searing adds so much flavor!
- Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel. Season the meat with salt and pepper, this sticks to the meat and flavors the crust.
- Make sure when searing to use a very hot pan. If the pan is cool, the meat can stick and tear.
- Get your pan hot then add the oil. Once the oil ripples immediately add the meat before the oil begins to smoke.
- Sear on all sides, then add it to the slow cooker.
- Continue with the seasonings thru step 4 below. Instead of adding the ribs to a Dutch oven, you’ll place the short ribs and sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Braised Korean Spicy and Sweet Short Ribs
- Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs
- Red Wine Pomegranate Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Best Damn Short Ribs
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Perfect Medium-Rare Prime Rib
Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Preheat an oven to 350°F. Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Add the shallots to the pot and sauté for about 3 minutes. You want them to become soft.
- Return the ribs to the pot, cover the pot, and transfer to the oven. Cook until the meat is tender, about 2 to 2.5 hours.
- To serve, skim some of the fat off the top. Good served with mashed potatoes, risotto, grits, or pasta with sauce spooned on top.