Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs. Succulent short ribs are braised in a molasses and pomegranate liquid that’s spiked with spices. They are slow cooked in the oven and become so tender they are falling off the bone. They are bold in flavor but easy to make.
Braising short ribs slowly reduces the sauce, brings out the deep rich flavor, and tenderizes the rib. These short ribs will definitely leave you satisfied.
I’m not a big meat eater, but I love braised short ribs and smoked pork ribs. I bought myself a new Le Creuset braiser pan and couldn’t wait to use it. If you prefer to use a slow cooker to make your short ribs, follow the times that I recommend in this Red Wine Pomegranate Slow Cooker Short Ribs recipe.
First of all, short ribs are such a great meal for entertaining. All the hands-on work you do is in the beginning, then the oven finishes it. Plus, they need to cook for a long time so it’s the perfect recipe to put on early in the day so that later in the day you can focus on other entertaining things like cleaning that last catastrophe your kids made! Doesn’t that always happen when you have guests coming over?
Furthermore, I like to make them the day before. Short ribs are better if allowed to sit overnight! For, this method, I simply simmer stove-top beginning about an hour before I want to serve them.
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cups pomegranate juice or red wine any variety
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- I like to rinse short ribs off with water, then pat them dry.
- Next, you'll want to season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the short ribs in flour and shake off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large Dutch oven or other large bottomed pan that has an oven safe lid.
- Sear the short ribs on all sides and remove to a platter.
- In the same pan, saute onion until it runs translucent and gets soft.
- Add the beef stock, pomegranate juice, ketchup, molasses, rosemary, thyme, ginger, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to the pan.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add the short ribs back into the pot.
- Cover with a lid and braise at 350 degrees F for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove lid and cook another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with risotto, mashed potatoes, or grits.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs
The sauce of molasses and pomegranate juice is out-of-this-world. To me, it’s the one component that makes this recipe a winner. For this reason, I like to serve Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs with a starch that will absorb all that goodness.
I served Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs with my Basic Risotto. I have a step-by-step guide to cooking risotto if you’re a novice. The short ribs are also great tasting on mashed potatoes, grits, and pasta.
In addition, this recipe has a lot of ingredients, more than I usually use in recipes. However, it’s a super easy recipe. After a little hands-on time searing the ribs, everything goes in the large pan and the oven slow cooks it to perfection. So, I don’t want you to be intimidated by the ingredient list.
If you like Molasses Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs, you may also enjoy these recipes