An all-time classic and easy-to-make this Hamburger Steak with Onions and Brown Gravy Recipe is sure to get rave reviews from your family. It also cooks quickly in one pan on the stovetop for busy weeknight meals.
HAMBURGER STEAK WITH ONIONS AND BROWN GRAVY RECIPE
After trying this for the first time, Lincoln exclaimed, “This tastes like a hamburger!”
I couldn’t help but giggle. He loves a grilled hamburger if he helps make it. The gravy on this Hamburger Steak was almost more than he could handle, but he did eat most of it. We struggle with his eating, but he is getting better.
One of my all-time favorite entrees, especially when I was young, was a Hamburger Steak. As I got older and my tastes developed more I started making a Hamburger Steak with Onions and Brown Gravy Recipe. I remember going to a local restaurant that was known for its high-quality steaks. I got a hamburger steak. Everyone at my party gave me strange looks. But the gravy! You can’t get good brown gravy with a grilled ribeye!
Nowadays, I don’t order something at a restaurant that I make at home. And when it’s economical to make, when it’s quick to make and when the whole family eats it, I’ll be making it at home that’s for sure!
ARE HAMBURGER STEAK AND SALISBURY STEAK THE SAME THING?
They are very similar. However, Salisbury steak contains more fillers such as breadcrumbs, minced onions, and eggs. Typically, hamburger steak contains just hamburger meat and spices.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS AMAZING RECIPE
The full recipe with amounts and instructions are further down in the recipe card. You can save the recipe to your personal recipe box. Instructions are in the recipe card as well.
- Ground beef
- Garlic salt
- Ground pepper
- Beef broth
- Butter, if needed
HOW DO I MAKE HAMBURGER STEAK?
The beauty of hamburger steak is it’s super quick and easy to make!
- Combine the beef, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Divide the meat into equal portions.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high. Place the hamburger steak in the skillet. Do not cover the pan.
- Cook for 6 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Check for doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the pan.
- Add the garlic and cook.
- Then, add the flour and cook.
- Next, add the liquid to the hot pan. It will sizzle. Scrap the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until thick.
- Add the hamburger steaks back into the pan. Spoon gravy and onions over the steaks.
- Simmer a few minutes then serve and enjoy!
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH HAMBURGER STEAK?
- Mashed potatoes
- Creamy Parmesan noodles
- Mac n Cheese, no roux no flour
- Glazed Carrots
- 8 Cheese mac and cheese
- Green Beans
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Potatoes
While you’re here, check out my other popular recipes!
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Old Fashioned Blue Ribbon Pound Cake
- Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Frosting with Cocoa Powder and Powdered Sugar
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Hasselback Scalloped Potatoes
- Million Dollar Pound Cake
Shop this post
- Hamburger Steak Patty Maker
- I love this 2-pack Silicone Spatula Set – cheap, but so good!
- Set of 3 Oval Platters
You’ve got to make this easy weeknight dinner recipe!
I updated this post from an earlier version dated January 31, 2014. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Hamburger Steak with Onions and Brown Gravy Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Combine ground beef, garlic salt and pepper.
- Divide meat into 6 even portions and form into steaks
- In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat 6 minutes per side.
- Leave the onions in the pan and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour, whisk and cook 2 minutes.
- Gradually add Worcestershire and broth; whisk until smooth.
- Reduce the temperature to low and reduce it to half. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Add patties back into the pan, spoon the gravy and onions over the steaks, and heat through.
- Serve immediately.