Easy Strawberry Cake tastes and looks like a bakery cake, but is easier than from-scratch! It’s full of strawberries in the cake and the icing.
This cake is ‘easy’ because it starts with a cake mix, but don’t worry unless you tell no one will ever know, it tastes homemade. It’s light, tender, moist, and is bursting with strawberry flavor.
Fluffy, moist, studded with strawberries, and easy to whip together, my Easy Strawberry Cake will be your new favorite. There is nothing like a freshly home-made cake with lots of sweet creamy frosting.
EASY STRAWBERRY CAKE
This is my recipe box. Yes, it’s quite large and it’s not the only recipe box I have. This is the box of my family ‘favorites’; I also have a box of recipes that I want to try. And a binder of pretty entertaining and party recipes and tips. And, I have cookbooks.
So many recipes, so little time! One-third of these recipes are for desserts! I know, crazy, it’s my passion.
As well, Strawberry Cake has been one of my favorite desserts for many years. It’s the cake I always wanted my Mom to make for my birthday (or anytime I could persuade her to make it!)
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
- First, this strawberry cake starts with a boxed cake mix. However, because it has fresh strawberries it tastes homemade.
- You can use fresh or frozen strawberries.
- For the 1 cup of strawberries, you can mash with a potato masher, hand chop, or chop in a food processor. They add just the right amount of flavor and moisture.
- As well, you’ll add a 3-ounce box of strawberry gelatin (Jello is the most known brand) to the batter. If you have strawberry boxed cake mix, you can skip this step. However, adding strawberry gelatin to a white cake mix is a huge strawberry flavor boost.
- This cake calls for vegetable oil. It adds moisture and makes the texture amazing. (I haven’t tried reducing the oil amount.)
- You can make this into either 2 or 3 layers. It also works well in a 9×13-inch sheet pan as well as cupcakes.
- For a 9×13-inch cake, you may want to reduce the amount of frosting. (I don’t, but I love frosting!)
Cooking times for pan size
- two 9-inches round or 9×9 inch square 28 to 31 minutes
- two 8-inch round or 8×8-inch square 30 to 33 minutes
- three 8-inch round 28 to 30 minutes
- 9×13-inch bake pan, cook 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
EQUIPMENT NEED TO MAKE THIS EASY STRAWBERRY CAKE
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES.
You may also enjoy my Pound Cake Series
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry & Cream Pound Cake
- Delicious Strawberry Cream Cake
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry Buttermilk Pound Cake
Easy Strawberry Cake
- 15.25 ounce box white cake mix (use ingredients listed here NOT what is listed on the box) You can also use 16.25-ounce size
- 3 -ounce box strawberry jello you'll use the powder
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen mashed or finely chopped (measured after you chop or mash them)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 -ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 5 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar sifted then measured, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream more if needed
- ¼ cup strawberries fresh or frozen, mashed or chopped fine, drained
PLEASE READ POST ABOVE FOR MORE INFO
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray pan(s) with non-stick spray or Wilton cake release.
- Mix 3 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Sift sugar and add one cup at a time to the cream cheese mixture. Add heavy whipping cream and strawberries and incorporate completely.
- Place one layer of cake on a serving plate. Spread about 1 cup of the frosting on top in an even layer. Repeat with the next layer of cake and frosting, then top the cake with the final layer of cake (if you have 3 layers).
- Frost the outside of the cake. An offset spatula makes it really easy to get an even layer.
- For 9x13 pan bake 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- two 9-inches round or 9x9 inch square 28 to 31 minutes
- two 8-inch round or 8x8-inch square 30 to 33 minutes
- three 8-inch round 28 to 30 minutes