Impress your family and friends with this Strawberry Cream Cake filled with fresh strawberries, cream cheese, and whipped cream. Tender butter cake is layered with fluffy whipped cream cheese, whipped cream, and juicy fresh strawberries.
First, I have always loved strawberries and had this strawberry cake for my birthday for years. However, I wanted to try something new this year and came up with this simple Strawberry Cream Cake. It’s an exceptional, yet simple vanilla sponge cake that I made with pantry staples. As well, it has a velvety, tender crumb and keeps well for 3 days!
You may also like these big beautiful cakes
Between the layers, sweetened and whipped cream cheese provides a nice foundation for sweetened fresh sliced strawberries. I frosted the cake with homemade sweetened whipped cream. An easy substitution would be Cool Whip brand whipped cream.
It is the perfect, light tasting Spring dessert that I was going for.
Strawberry Cream Cake
Coincidently, I didn’t incorporate strawberries into the cake layers or icing itself. Therefore, you may substitute any berry for the strawberries. Blueberries or raspberries would be wonderful. Or, maybe a mixture of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries would make a beautiful Independence Day dessert.
Because of the cream cheese and whipped cream, this cake needs to be refrigerated. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it will be good for three days.
Finally, I layered this soft, fluffy chiffon sponge cake with lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries. It makes a light, bright, fresh-tasting and show-stopping dessert!
Strawberry Cream Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour I use this brand
- 1 teaspoon baking powder I like this kind
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda I use this
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ⅓ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract recommended
- 1/2 cup butter softened, salted or unsalted, recommended
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 16 ounces strawberries fresh, sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for strawberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoon granulated sugar for whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese whipped until light and fluffy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour three 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1 and 1/2 cup sugar together for one minute.
- Beat in egg whites one at a time.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide and spread evenly in three cake pans.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack then remove from pans and cool completely.
- While cake is baking, add 1/4 cup sugar to strawberries. Stir occasionally.
- Whip the 4 tablespoons granulated sugar and heavy whipping cream together until stiff peak stage.
- Spread the whipped cream cheese on the bottom cake layer and spoon about 1 cup of strawberries over cream cheese. Repeat with another cake layer.
- Top with last cake layer.
- Frost the entire cake with whipped cream.
- Serve with remaining strawberries.