Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake is amazingly moist and buttery made with fresh strawberries and yogurt. It’s is brimming with juicy strawberries and has an ultra-moist texture!
FRESH STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE
This is a very forgiving cake, it’s made in a 9×13-inch cake pan so no worries trying to stack and frost it. It’s a great way to showcase fresh strawberries. I don’t recommend frozen berries for this cake they can be too watery. Finally, on my list of why this is a great dessert that you should make asap, it goes with any meal. Any meal and every meal! 😄 It’s not overly sweet and everyone loves it.
I chose not to frost my cake, but you can if you want it a little sweeter. I would use this Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
WHY USE YOGURT IN CAKES?
Yogurt does a few things in cakes. Greek yogurt is naturally acidic and reacts with baking soda to help cakes rise. As well, yogurt adds a nice tang and balances the sweetness of cakes. Finally, yogurt makes cakes tender and moist.
I used Greek yogurt in this strawberry sheet cake. However, you can use plain or vanilla yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk.
INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR STRAWBERRY CAKE
Full recipe with amounts and instructions are listed below in the recipe card which you can save to your recipe box.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
FRESH STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE TIPS
First, one of the most important tips is to coat the cut strawberries in 1/4 cup of flour. this prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
Measure the strawberries after you cut them. You’ll need about 12 ounces of strawberries. Typically, I get 16 ounces and use the extra for garnish. As well, I cut them into rather small cubes.
I don’t recommend frozen strawberries they release too much water for this cake. It’s very moist anyway.
This cake isn’t overly sweet. Therefore, it makes a great cake with coffee for brunch.
If you want to change the flavor, you can use 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and omit the lemon.
Also, I’ve made this cake using peaches and blueberries and they both turned out wonderful!
HOW DO I STORE STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE?
Because this cake is so moist, store it in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. It also freezes well for up to 2 months. Wrap in plastic wrap and a ziptop freezer bag. Don’t forget to date it!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- Everyone loves my Easy Strawberry Cake!
- For cobbler lovers, this Strawberry Cobbler with buttery biscuit crust is amazing!
- Who wouldn’t love the frosting on these Double Strawberry Cupcakes?
- Melt in Your Mouth Strawberry Pound Cake is always a hit!
FRESH STRAWBERRY SHEET CAKE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest About 1 large lemon for this and the juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt reglular yogurt or sour cream can be used
- 2 and ¼ cup (about 12 ounces) fresh strawberries diced
- additional strawberries and mint for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toss strawberries in 1/4 cup flour.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy (takes about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Next, add the eggs one at a time, beating until the yolk just disappears before adding the next one. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Alternating between the wet and dry ingredients, mix in the remaining flour, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, and yogurt, Mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in the strawberries. Pour batter into a greased 9×13-inch cake pan.
- Bake for 36 to 43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
You can also find great recipes at Recipe Index or Weekend Potluck
I made it exactly like your recipe! Greek yogurt is definitely the way to go. It’s. So. Good. I can’t believe how moist this cake is and the strawberry flavor is so Spring. I love it!
Love this strawberry cake!!
This came out so light and with the best flavor!
This tasted so amazing! Thanks a lot for sharing this super easy to make strawberry sheet cake recipe! Fam really loves it! Will surely have this again! Highly recommended!