Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake is a beautiful, deliciously moist, and flavorful sheet pan cake. This is not an overly sweet cake thanks to the tangy yogurt. In fact, it’s more like a muffin and great with coffee for breakfast.
Sometimes, you just need a simple, easy cake that will knock your socks off with flavor. This is that cake. There’s not trimming the hump off the middle or aligning layers. You simply pour the batter into a 9×13-inch baking pan and wait for the timer to expire!
Another bonus to sheet cakes, they travel great for potlucks and picnics. As well, this cake holds together like a brownie so it doesn’t require utensils.
This cake also takes advantage of the sweetest, juiciest produce of spring, strawberries! As well, it has a pound cake-like texture with bursts of sweet, fresh strawberries in every bite.
I chose to top it with a thin layer of glaze. The cake has such a wonderful taste and texture, I didn’t want to hide it under a lot of sweet frosting.
FRESH STRAWBERRY YOGURT CAKE
I also used Greek yogurt; it gives much the same flavor and texture to a cake that buttermilk or sour cream does. When you’re out of both (ahem) it makes for a great substitution. Greek yogurt, sour cream, and buttermilk all give cakes a tender, soft texture.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Amaretto Peach Upside Down Pound Cake
- Key Lime Coconut Marbled Pound Cake
- Easy Strawberry Cake
- Old Fashioned Blue Ribbon Pound Cake
- Whipping Cream Pound Cake
- Chocolate Frosting with Cocoa Powder and Powdered Sugar
- Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Crock Pot Crack Hash Brown Potatoes
- Dark Chocolate Brown Sugar Cookies
- Million Dollar Pound Cake
- Pecan Pie Bread Pudding
I updated this post from an earlier version on August 15, 2014. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or brown or coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice bottled or fresh
- 1 medium lemon zested, or ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 and ½ cup all-purpose flour ¼ cup will be used for strawberries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Greek Yogurt plain or vanilla yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries diced (2 heaping cups)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 or 2 drops red food coloring if desired
- strawberries and mint leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Toss the strawberries in ¼ cup flour. Set aside.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Beat until mixture is creamy and fluffy for about 2 minutes at medium speed. Stop the mixer at about 1 minute and scrape the sides.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Next, add flour mixture alternately with the yogurt, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the strawberries by hand. Never overmix a cake after adding the flour or it will be tough.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whisk powdered sugar, heavy cream, and food coloring together until smooth. This glaze needs to be thin and pourable. Add more heavy cream if needed. Pour over warm cake.
- Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.