Key Lime Coconut Marbled Pound Cake with Jello is an easy & refreshing cake with plenty of zippy lime and coconut flavor. This dessert recipe is perfect for summer parties, picnics, & potlucks! Each moist and tender bite is filled with wonderful flavor!
KEY LIME COCONUT MARBLED POUND CAKE
I’ve tested the Whipping Cream Pound Cake, Sour Cream Pound Cake, Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Amaretto Pound Cake, and Chocolate Pound Cake. Let me just tell you they are all good! However, it’s time to give your traditional pound cake recipe a break and try this one. It’s full of bright citrus flavor that you’re sure to love. One bite and you’ll be reminded of that favorite beach destination!
POUND CAKE TIPS
I want to stress a few things when attempting my pound cake recipes, or any cake recipe in general. Review my post Baking Cakes: Problems and Tips.
- As with most baking, make sure your butter is at room temperature and soft. It will indent easily when mashed with your finger, but not be oily.
- Your eggs and other dairy ingredients also need to be at room temperature. They will incorporate much easier into the other ingredients at room temperature, making for a lighter, fluffier cake.
- Measure your flour correctly using the ‘spoon and level’ method. I wrote this post on how to measure flour correctly, you may want to refresh yourself if needed. Measuring flour incorrectly can result in as much as 150% more flour than is called for! #ThatsALot
- Use good quality ingredients. Read some of the differences in name-brand and store-bought ingredients here. Use real butter, not margarine. I use salted butter. You can use salted or unsalted butter depending on your personal preference.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A POUND CAKE?
- One of the most important tips is to Calibrate your oven.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. The color will a pale yellow. You must use real butter. Margarine will not have the same results.
- Next, mix in the room temperature eggs one at a time until they disappear into the batter.
- The next step is to add the room temperature milk alternately with the flour until mixed together and smooth. Room temperature ingredients are a must for a fluffy cake.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased baking pan and bake until cooked through.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Trisha Yearwoods Lemon Pound Cake with Glaze
- Classic Ricotta Pound Cake
- 10 Ridiculously Easy Pound Cake Recipes
- Fresh Blueberry Pound Cake
- Peanut Butter Glazed Banana Pound Cake
Key Lime Coconut Marbled Pound Cake with Jello
- 3 cups all-purpose flour measured correctly
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk at room temperature
- 1 3-ounce package lime flavored gelatin ex. Jello
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Then add the milk mixture and flour alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- The cake is done when no crumbs or dry crumbs remain on a wooden pick when inserted in the thickest part of the cake.
- Cool in the pan on wire rack 20 minutes before inverting on a platter to cool completely. Make sure it's cooled completely before covering. The cake will be good 4 or 5 days in an airtight container on the counter. After that, it will start drying out somewhat.
- Whisk glaze together and pour over cooled cake or, my recommendation, pour over individual slices when served.