Grilled Chicken Shawarma Skewers is tender chicken breasts cut and coated in a flavorful marinade, then grilled to golden brown perfection.
WHAT IS CHICKEN SHAWARMA?
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish flavored with a savory yogurt sauce. It’s prepared from thin cuts of seasoned marinated lamb, mutton, veal, beef, chicken, or turkey. The slices are stacked on a skewer about 20 inches high. The skewers turn and cook on the spit for hours and are shaved off to serve. Traditionally, shawarma is served with tahini or garlic sauce. Whereas, gyros are served with tzatziki sauce.
HOW DO I MAKE GRILLED CHICKEN SHAWARMA SKEWERS?
It’s easy! The longer you let the chicken marinate, the more flavor it’ll have. Therefore, this is a great recipe to prep early in the day or before work and let it chill in the fridge soaking up the spices.
I like to cut the chicken into chunks before marinating. This way, it has more surface area to grab those spices.
Furthermore, the spices and marinade are good on beef, turkey, or lamb.
After marinating, you can either roast the chicken in the oven or grill it. Most often, I grill it. Grilling adds another layer of flavor. Grill the chicken on high heat on all sides. The cooking time will depend on how large your chicken chunks are and the temperature of your grill so keep a close eye on it. Mine most often cooks in 15 to 20 minutes.
HOW DO I SERVE SHAWARMA?
If you want to go traditional, serve your chicken shawarma in a pita with tomato, cucumber, onions, and tahini sauce.
Otherwise, go crazy and serve your shawarma in a wrap, over mixed salad greens, or in a hoagie bun. If you follow a keto diet, this flavorful chicken is tender, juicy, and very flavorful all by itself! Really, this chicken is just so good, it’s tasty with anything or all by itself!
Although traditionally shawarma isn’t served with tzatziki sauce, I enjoy the light flavored sauce on it.
While you’re here, check our these recipes
- Fig Scones
- Sweet Heat Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Chicken Wings
- Green Chile Cheddar Dip
- Boshamps Feta Dip
- 13 Wholesome Meals under 600 Calories
Grilled Chicken Shawarma Skewers
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless (or chicken thighs)
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut chicken into cubes. Coat chicken in seasoning mixture and marinate 4 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Oven method: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place chicken in a large skillet or sheet pan. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Grill method: Place chicken chunks on skewers (if you're using wood skewers, soak them in water 20 minutes first)
- Grill both sides of the skewered chicken on high heat until fully cooked through (about 10 minutes per side).
- Serve as is, in pita bread, salad, or bowls.
You can also find great recipes at my recipe index or at Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday
Leave a Reply