Chicken Dip is a warm, creamy, spicy dip that’s perfect for game day! Perpetually a party favorite, this easy recipe is so simple to make and insanely delicious!
First, I’m going to turn this into a game. Let’s see who the first person is to ask how much buffalo sauce there is, or say I forgot to include buffalo sauce in the ingredient list? We’ll see who reads the post and who skips to the recipe card. 😉
To be clear, this is Chicken Dip, not Buffalo Chicken Dip. You can get my Buffalo Chicken Dip here.
Now that we have that out of the way, this dip is one of the most simple appetizer recipes you’ll have in your repertoire. Actually, you probably have everything you need to make it already in your pantry.
How do I make Chicken Dip?
It’s literally as simple and mixing all the ingredients together and baking until it’s hot throughout. Here’s are detailed steps.
- First, you’ll need cooked chicken. You can roast, broil, grill, or boil the chicken. As well, you can use canned or rotisserie chicken.
- Second, shred or chop the chicken.
- Cream cheese is much easier to mix with other ingredients when it’s at room temperature. Therefore, either lay it out on the counter a couple of hours early or you can microwave it to get it warm. However, don’t melt it.
- Next, mix your chicken, cream cheese, mayo, and seasonings together. As always, adjust the seasonings to your taste. If you like more heat, add more red pepper flakes.
- Spoon the mixture into an oven-safe serving dish.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. You can use cheddar, Pepper Jack, or your favorite cheese.
- Bake in a 350° preheated oven for 20 minutes or so. The cheese on top should be melted and slightly beginning to brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. (Personally, I like it cold too.)
- Finally, I like to serve it with Scoops or tortilla chips. You need a sturdy chip or cracker with this dip.
I told you it was simple, right?
I make this all the time for tailgating and watch parties. Furthermore, it’s great anytime you need a quick appetizer.
You can assemble this recipe the night before and keep it refrigerated then bake before you’re ready to serve. This makes it easier if you’re cooking other recipes the night of.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Captain Rodney’s Dip – a reader favorite, this dip has a sweet heat sauce, bacon, and buttery crackers on top!
- Easy White Queso Dip – does anyone else make a meal on cheese dip at times?
- Mexican Street Corn Dip – Green chilis, pimentos, green onions, paprika, and cumin give this corn amazing flavor!
- Caramelized Vidalia Onion Dip – caramelized onions give dip an amazingly complex flavor!
*Note: I first published this recipe on Call Me PMc on Sept 16, 2012. I updated the post on March 1, 2020. Enjoy.
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 cups chicken shredded (you may use canned, but I prefer fresh)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix chicken, cream cheese, mayonnaise, pepper, garlic, and onion together until well combined.
- Spoon into an oven-safe dish and top with cheddar cheese. (A 9-inch pie plate or 9x9-inch casserole dish is a perfect size.)
- Bake 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Serve warm with Frito Scoops or tortilla chips.
You can also find great recipes at my recipe index or Meal Plan Monday
I made this last night…
I do not eat mayo so I substituted sour cream and it came out great…
Next time I’ll double the ingredients in a bigger ceramic pan…
We ate it without chips and it would make a great one dish meal…
Michelle Nahom says
We'll definitely be trying this one! Always on the lookout for new easy dip recipes!
Michelle's Tasty Creations says
Yum! I will definitely be trying this one too. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Yum yum. Can I have some, please? 🙂 Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!
Julia Kendrick says
This looks so good! I think it will be good at my hubby's next football party! Thanks for sharing! Your newest follower from threekendrickblessings.blogspot.com
That looks really good, actually. But then, I do tend to be a bit of a sucker for any and all dips for chips… 😛
Bobi Jensen says
mmm, yum, this looks so good!
I think I've had this at a party. Didn't know what it was (except that it was delicious)! Thanks for sharing.
I love chicken dip and this looks delicious!!!
Paula Jones says
Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm says
You are a cooking queen girl! Looks delicious to me!