Chicken Fajitas on a Stick are a fun and festive way to serve this Mexican favorite! They make great an appetizer or a meal and they are ready in less than 10 minutes!
I serve Chicken Fajitas on a Stick with and without tortillas depending on if I’m watching my carb intake. I also serve these unique fajitas simply on a bed of lettuce with Green Chile Lime Salad Dressing.
Chicken Fajitas on a Stick
Ladies and Gents, this is the ideal entertaining meal! I like to make Chicken Fajitas on a Stick when entertaining
and I want everyone to stay out of the house. It’s a simple, yet impressive meal. Summer entertaining to me means grilling and Tex Mex flavors are easy and always a hit, what’s better?
I cut the chicken and vegetables early in the day and marinate the Chicken Fajitas on a Stick in the refrigerator 4 to 6 hours. The longer you have to marinate, the better. The chicken and vegetables will absorb all those wonderful, tangy fajita flavors. I’m easily distracted when quests arrive and this recipe is forgiving. Cook when you’re ready otherwise, it’ll keep fine in the refrigerator until you’re ready to throw it on the grill.
I use this recipe for the Fajitas Seasoning or you can use the prepackaged, store-bought mix. I re-hydrate the seasoning in vegetable oil. It makes a really intense seasoning.
Squeeze fresh lime over your chicken skewers when you take them off the grill to brighten the flavor!
I also load my skewers with chicken only and vegetables only. I prefer this for the varying cook times between the two. They certainly make a pretty presentation when the chicken and vegetables are on the same skewer so use whichever method you prefer.
Cut your vegetables and chicken into equal size chunks so that they cook at the same time.
You may also use pork or beef in place of the chicken if you prefer.
Get the Fajita Seasoning recipe here.
Here’s a tip for cooking once eating twice. Cook extra Chicken Fajitas on a Stick and make my Chicken Fajita Pasta Salad for your lunch or dinner the next day.
Chicken Fajitas on a Stick
- 2 to 3 large chicken breasts but into even chunks
- 2 bell peppers chose your favorite - red, orange, green or yellow, cut into chunks
- 2 onions cut into fourths
- 4 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 wooden skewers
- Cut chicken, peppers and onions into equal size chunks.
- Add chicken to a large zip-top bag, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning. Rub so that the seasoning covers all the chicken.
- Add vegetables to a large zip-top bag, add 2 tablespoons vegetables oil and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning. Rub so that the seasoning covers all the peppers and onions.
- Place zip-top bags in a bowl and refrigerate 2 hours up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Soak skewers in water 10 minutes.
- Thread chicken chunks onto skewers. Thread peppers and onions onto separate skewers.
- Place skewers on grill and grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Cook time will vary depending on size of your chicken and vegetables and temperature of grill. Cook until chicken is done. Cook vegetables until desired degree on doneness.
- Remove from grill, squeeze lime over and serve immediately.
- Serve with traditional fajita accompaniments: tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, jalapeno, etc