Chicken Fajitas on a Stick are a fun and festive way to serve this Mexican favorite! They make great an appetizer or a meal, and they are ready in less than 10 minutes!
You can serve Chicken fajita skewers with or without tortillas, depending on if you are watching your carb intake. For keto fajitas, serve the chicken simply on a bed of lettuce with Green Chile Lime Salad Dressing.
Chicken Fajitas on a Stick
Ladies and Gents, this is the ideal entertaining meal! I like to make grilled chicken fajitas during the summer months,
and when I want everyone to stay out of the house. It’s a simple, yet impressive meal. Summer entertaining to me means grilling! Plus, Tex Mex flavors are easy and always a hit, what’s better?
I cut the chicken and vegetables early in the day and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours. Marinate the meat for at least an hour. The longer you have to marinate, the better the flavor will be. The chicken and vegetables will absorb all those wonderful, tangy fajita flavors.
I’m easily distracted when quests arrive and this recipe is forgiving. Cook when you’re ready otherwise, it’ll keep fine in the refrigerator until you’re ready to throw it on the grill.
I use this recipe for Fajitas Seasoning or you can use the prepackaged, store-bought mix. I re-hydrate the seasoning in vegetable oil. It makes a really intense seasoning.
Squeeze fresh lime over your chicken skewers when you take them off the grill to brighten the flavor!
You may also use pork or beef in place of the chicken if you prefer.
I also load some skewers with chicken only, and others with vegetables only. I prefer this for the varying cook times between the two. But, chicken fajitas on a stick certainly make a pretty presentation, so use whichever method you prefer.
If you want to grill them together, cut your vegetables and chicken into equal size chunks so that they cook evenly.
Get the Fajita Seasoning recipe here.
PRO TIP for cooking once eating twice:
Cook extra chicken fajita skewers. Then, use them for Chicken fajita pasta salad for your lunch or dinner the next day.
Chicken Fajitas on a Stick
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 to 3 large chicken breasts but into even chunks
- 2 bell peppers chose your favorite – red, orange, green or yellow, cut into chunks
- 2 onions cut into fourths
- 4 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 wooden skewers
- Cut chicken, peppers and onions into equal size chunks.
- Add chicken to a large zip-top bag, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning. Rub so that the seasoning covers all the chicken.
- Add vegetables to a large zip-top bag, add 2 tablespoons vegetables oil and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning. Rub so that the seasoning covers all the peppers and onions.
- Place zip-top bags in a bowl and refrigerate 2 hours up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Soak skewers in water 10 minutes.
- Thread chicken chunks onto skewers. Thread peppers and onions onto separate skewers.
- Place skewers on grill and grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until done. Cook time will vary depending on size of your chicken and vegetables and temperature of grill. Cook until chicken is done. Cook vegetables until desired degree on doneness.
- Remove from grill, squeeze lime over and serve immediately.
- Serve with traditional fajita accompaniments: tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, jalapeno, etc
Every time I click on Green Chili Lime salad dressing it takes me to Oriental Sweet and Sour dressing!
Sorry! I redid that recipe, here it is
1 cup sour cream
½ medium jalapeno diced fine
2 Tablespoon green Chile minced, juice included
½ medium lime juiced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 medium shallot minced fine
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together, stir until smooth. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours to let flavors marry. Serve over Southwestern Salad
Alma Sample says
I’ve been trying various recipes for Fajitas but they have all left me flat until this one! It is just perfect and really delivers that restaurant quality fajitas vibe. Excellent! Thank you!
Thomas Coleman says
The best ever! I do prefer boneless skinless thighs vice breast meat..
You are right,this would be a great recipe for entertaining. The prep is done ahead and the results look delicious! What a great idea!
Claire | Sprinkles and Sprouts says
This chicken looks so juicy. I love cooking on the grill, everything just tastes better!
Pinning this to the grilled chicken board!
Have a great weekend x
p.s popping over from Weekend Potluck