The Best Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect balance of tangy and sweet plus it’s versatile! Nothing beats homemade frosting and this one is very simple to make! This is a classic recipe that includes butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
THE BEST CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
The BEST cream cheese frosting is smooth, creamy, and not overly sweetened. It’s a basic recipe that can be used in a variety of ways.
Cream Cheese icing is a baking classic and can be used on a variety of cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. If you need more of a glaze, add more heavy cream. Need it to stand up sturdy for a layer cake? Add more powdered sugar!
Below are some cakes I use cream cheese icing on. Needless to say, it’s my favorite frosting!
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Did you like this recipe? Consider giving it a 5-star rating!
The Best Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup real butter room temp
- 8 ounce cream cheese room temp
- 3 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat 1 stick butter and 8 oz cream cheese until smooth, add confectioner sugar with mixer on low. Add vanilla and milk. Mix until smooth.
- FOR CREAM CHEESE GLAZE: Add more milk one tablespoon at a time until the consistency is like honey, smooth and pourable.