You’ll also find my article on How to Soften Cream Cheese useful.
Cream cheese icing is versatile. It has a mild, yet delicious flavor that compliments any cake.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
I always use an electric mixer to mix
Cream Cheese Icing is a baking classic and can be used on a variety of cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. If you need more of a glaze, add more heavy cream. Need it to stand up sturdy for a layer cake? Add more powdered sugar!
Ingredients you’ll need
This classic recipe has simple ingredients that you probably already have.
- Butter. You need real
butterfor this recipe, not margarine. Allow it to come to room temperature before mixing it.
- Cream cheese. You can use regular, low-fat, or fat-free
cream cheesein this frosting. However, low-fat and fat-free will not taste as good nor will it be as creamy as regular cream cheese. Your cream cheeseneeds to be at room temperature before mixing as well.
- Heavy cream. Heavy cream makes the best
cream cheesefrosting but you can use half and half or whole milk.
- Powdered sugar. Powdered sugar is also known as confectioners sugar, confectioners’ sugar, icing sugar, and 10X. Sift your confectioners sugar before adding it to your creamed ingredients.
- Vanilla extract. Pure vanilla extract tastes the best.
Below are some cakes I use
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used
updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Did you like this recipe? Consider giving it a 5-star rating!
The Best Cream Cheese Frosting
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1/2 cup real butter room temp
- 8 ounce cream cheese room temp
- 3 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat 1 stick butter and 8 oz cream cheese until smooth, add confectioner sugar with mixer on low. Add vanilla and milk. Mix until smooth.
- FOR CREAM CHEESE GLAZE: Add more milk one tablespoon at a time until the consistency is like honey, smooth and pourable.