Enjoy my Southern take on a classic, Decadent Crawfish Mac and Cheese, is rich cheesy, and spicy crawfish adds a nice surprise to this favorite recipe. For a taste of the Big Easy make a big batch to celebrate Fat Tuesday!
Crawfish are native to Louisiana. Southern have Crawfish Boils like most people have Shrimp Boils. Crawfish are also a staple in jambalaya, gumbo, and etouffee.
Crawfish Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is classic comfort food. By adding crawfish, I took the recipe to an all-time high.
Use fresh or frozen crawfish. I find the peeled crawfish tails in the freezer section of my local grocer.
First, I made a traditional roux using the grease from the bacon. Next, I threw in cajun spices to give it a Southern flavor. I then gave the recipe a flavor punch with Monterrey Jack and sharp cheddar cheese. Finally, I topped it with buttery breadcrumbs for a little crunch and texter.
Add cheese, when melted, add pasta.
and half the bacon, stir
Decadent Crawfish Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces pasta
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups crawfish tails cooked and shelled
- 1 and ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 and ½ cup monterrey jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to 1 quart water in a medium size pot.
- Bring to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the package directions to the al dente stage. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon. Crumble Set aside.
- In the skillet that bacon was cooked, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoon flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add half and half and whisk to prevent clumps.
- Add Cajun seasoning and crawfish tails and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crawfish are heated through.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Fold pasta and half of the bacon into cheese sauce, careful not to break pasta.
- I transfered to smaller serving dishes, but you could leave in one large skillet. Top with remaining bacon and bread crumbs. With oven on broil, place in oven and toast, watching carefully, until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Remove garnish with green onions slices. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.