Enjoy my Southern take on a classic, Decadent Crawfish Mac and Cheese, is rich cheesy, and spicy crawfish adds a nice surprise to this favorite recipe. For a taste of the Big Easy make a big batch to celebrate Fat Tuesday!
Crawfish are native to Louisiana. Southern have Crawfish Boils like most people have Shrimp Boils. Crawfish are also a staple in jambalaya, gumbo, and etouffee.
Crawfish Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is classic comfort food. By adding crawfish, I took the recipe to an all-time high.
Use fresh or frozen crawfish. I find the peeled crawfish tails in the freezer section of my local grocer.
First, I made a traditional roux using the grease from the bacon. Next, I threw in cajun spices to give it a Southern flavor. I then gave the recipe a flavor punch with Monterrey Jack and sharp cheddar cheese. Finally, I topped it with buttery breadcrumbs for a little crunch and texter.
Add cheese, when melted, add pasta.
and half the bacon, stir
Decadent Crawfish Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces pasta
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups crawfish tails cooked and shelled
- 1 and ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 and ½ cup monterrey jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add 1 teaspoon salt to 1 quart water in a medium size pot.
- Bring to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the package directions to the al dente stage. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon. Crumble Set aside.
- In the skillet that bacon was cooked, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoon flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add half and half and whisk to prevent clumps.
- Add Cajun seasoning and crawfish tails and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until crawfish are heated through.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Fold pasta and half of the bacon into cheese sauce, careful not to break pasta.
- Remove garnish with green onions slices. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.