Colorful and versatile, Sweet and Sour Citrus Salad, citrus is the perfect fruit during cold wintertime. This salad is sure to brighten your meal and day! It’s made with fresh vegetables and fruits with honey and poppy seed dressing.
SWEET AND SOUR CITRUS SALAD
Bright, beautiful, Spring-y, fresh, healthy, tasty. Perfect with an entree’ or as a meal.
I made this salad with fresh in-season ingredients. Naturally, if you don’t like an ingredient that I’ve used, leave it out. Additionally, if you have apples and/or pears that you need to use, they’ll be a lovely addition. However, if using fruits that turn brown, like apples and pears, toss them in a little bit of citrus juice before adding them to the salad. This will keep them from browning as quickly.
As well, I like to cut all of the ingredients roughly the same size, making each piece bite-sized or smaller. Then toss in a big bowl and add your fruit salad dressing!
SWEET AND SOUR CITRUS SALAD DRESSING
This salad dressing is light and fresh and brings all the flavors of all other components together nicely.
I find it easiest to mix this salad dressing in a blender. However, you could whisk it together if you don’t have a blender.
In a blender, combine the honey, vinegar, poppy seeds, grated onion, lemon juice, salt, mustard, and lemon peel; cover and process until blended.
Pour over fruit mixture and very gently toss to coat.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- I like to add feta cheese to this salad to change it up.
- As well, grilled chicken and/or boiled eggs would add protein for a complete meal.
- Of course, I like avocado on almost any salad.
- If there’s an ingredient that you don’t like, possibly the mushrooms or onions, by all means, leave it out.
HOW LONG WILL THIS SALAD KEEP?
If you’re unable to finish it before 48 hours, you can freeze it to use in smoothies. I freeze it in individual portions in zip-top freezer bags so that it’s not a huge clump when I’m ready to use it. (I freeze the lettuce as well.)
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Favorite Fruit Salad
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad
- Pina Colada Ambrosia Salad
- Fruit Salad Basket
- Grape Salad
Sweet and Sour Citrus Salad
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 large pink grapefruit peeled and sectioned
- 1 large navel orange peeled and sectioned
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 large sweet red pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly and separated into rings
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons onion grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon peel grated
- 4 cups salad greens torn
- 2 cups mushrooms fresh, sliced