Rich and creamy vanilla ice cream full of buttery, salted caramel Crack Candy.
This Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream will knock your socks off!
Big Daddy and I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift when we got married. It broke years ago and I haven’t bothered to replace it until now. Ice Cream is not my ‘go to’ snack. Before I started this blog, I’d make ice cream only once or twice a year (about the same number of times I eat a burger!) What’s ironic about that is an ice cream recipe is my most popular post on Call Me PMc!
A lot of things have changed since I started blogging, ahem, like my house not being clean for one! For two, I’m becoming more adventurous with food. I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker in July. I’m crazy about this ice cream maker, it’s so easy to use. I made a Lemon Ice Cream and this Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream.
I’m more of the ice-cream-with-mix-ins kind of girl. I decided my plain ol’ vanilla ice cream needed some crack….. whoa, whoa…. Crack Candy that is. I promise this is so. very. good.
Crackers covered with buttery caramel and chocolate. Alone, they are wonderful, you can’t quit (hence the name). After four, I made myself stop so I’d have enough for the ice cream and because I didn’t want to run 2 extras miles to get off the calories!
I just crunched the candy into coarse chunks and folded them into the ice cream while it was still soft. #nomz! It tastes a lot like Butter Pecan Ice Cream; one of my favorites!
The crackers are encapsulated by the caramel preventing them from becoming soggy if you were wondering.
- 30 saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup butter no substitutions
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chipsFor the Ice Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Line a 11x15 sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread crackers in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- In a heavy 2 quart pot, melt butter. Add sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until mixture boils. Boil 2 mintues, time precisely.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat and add baking soda. Stir until combined.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Quickly remove crackers from sheet pan to wax or parchment paper using a spatula. Allow to cool completely.
- When cool, melt chocolate and spread over crackers. Allow to cool.Make ice cream
- In a medium mixing bowl, add milk, sugar, cream and vanilla. Mix with a whisk or mixer until sugar is dissolved about 2 mintues.
- Turn on the machine and pour the mixture into the freezer bowl. Mix until thickened about 25 minutes.
- Break Crack Candy into pieces and stir into ice cream.
- Serve soft, as is, or transfer to a freezer safe container with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you, Paula
What’s your favorite ice cream?
Do you make homemade ice cream?
I have an Ice Cream board on Pinterest, wanna follow?
Follow Paula @ CallMePMc.com’s board * Ice Cream Party on Pinterest.
RELATED POSTS (click picture for recipe)
This post contains affiliate links with Amazon that I will earn a commission on if you purchase through those links.