Rich and creamy vanilla ice cream full of buttery, salted caramel Crack Candy.
This Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream will knock your socks off!
Big Daddy and I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift when we got married. It broke years ago and I haven’t bothered to replace it until now. Ice Cream is not my ‘go to’ snack. Before I started this blog, I’d make ice cream only once or twice a year (about the same number of times I eat a burger!) What’s ironic about that is an ice cream recipe is my most popular post on Call Me PMc!
A lot of things have changed since I started blogging, ahem, like my house not being clean for one! For two, I’m becoming more adventurous with food. I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker in July. I’m crazy about this ice cream maker, it’s so easy to use. I made a Lemon Ice Cream and this Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream.
I’m more of the ice-cream-with-mix-ins kind of girl. I decided my plain ol’ vanilla ice cream needed some crack….. whoa, whoa…. Crack Candy that is. I promise this is so. very. good.
Crackers covered with buttery caramel and chocolate. Alone, they are wonderful, you can’t quit (hence the name). After four, I made myself stop so I’d have enough for the ice cream and because I didn’t want to run 2 extras miles to get off the calories!
I just crunched the candy into coarse chunks and folded them into the ice cream while it was still soft. #nomz! It tastes a lot like Butter Pecan Ice Cream; one of my favorites!
The crackers are encapsulated by the caramel preventing them from becoming soggy if you were wondering.
Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream
For the Crack Candy
- 30 saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup butter no substitutions
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chipsFor the Ice Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Make Crack Candy
- Spread crackers in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- In a heavy 2 quart pot, melt butter. Add sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until mixture boils. Boil 2 mintues, time precisely.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat and add baking soda. Stir until combined.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Quickly remove crackers from sheet pan to wax or parchment paper using a spatula. Allow to cool completely.
- When cool, melt chocolate and spread over crackers. Allow to cool.Make ice cream
- Turn on the machine and pour the mixture into the freezer bowl. Mix until thickened about 25 minutes.
- Break Crack Candy into pieces and stir into ice cream.
- Serve soft, as is, or transfer to a freezer safe container with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
What’s your favorite ice cream?
Do you make homemade ice cream?
I have an Ice Cream board on Pinterest, wanna follow?
Follow Paula @ CallMePMc.com’s board * Ice Cream Party on Pinterest.
RELATED POSTS (click picture for recipe)
This post contains affiliate links with Amazon that I will earn a commission on if you purchase through those links.