Rich and creamy vanilla ice cream full of buttery, salted caramel Crack Candy. This Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream will knock your socks off!
Caramel Candy Ice Cream
Big Daddy and I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift when we got married. It broke years ago and I haven’t bothered to replace it until now. Ice Cream is not my ‘go to’ snack. Before I started this blog, I’d make ice cream only once or twice a year (about the same number of times I eat a burger!) What’s ironic about that is an ice cream recipe is a very popular post on Call Me PMc!
A lot of things have changed since I started blogging, ahem, like my house not being clean for one! For two, I’m becoming more adventurous with food. I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker in July. It’s very easy to use. We made Lemon Ice Cream, Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream, and Hojicha Ice Cream.
Ice cream Mix-ins
I’m more of the ice-cream-with-mix-ins kind of girl. I decided my plain ol’ vanilla ice cream needed some pazzazz. Chocolate covered toffee and pretzel candy added just what it needed.
Crackers covered with buttery caramel (toffee) and chocolate. Alone, they are wonderful, you can’t quit (hence the name). After four, I made myself stop so I’d have enough for the ice cream and because I didn’t want to run 2 extras miles to get off the calories!
I just crunched the candy into coarse chunks and folded them into the ice cream while it was still soft. #nomz! It tastes a lot like
The crackers are encapsulated by the caramel preventing them from becoming soggy if you were wondering.
Caramel Crack Candy Ice Cream
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
For the Crack Candy
- 30 saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup butter no substitutions
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Ice Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Make Crack Candy
- Line a 11×15 sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread crackers in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- In a heavy 2 quart pot, melt butter. Add sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until mixture boils. Boil 2 mintues, time precisely.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat and add baking soda. Stir until combined.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Quickly remove crackers from sheet pan to wax or parchment paper using a spatula. Allow to cool completely.
- When cool, melt chocolate and spread over crackers. Allow to cool.
Make ice cream
- In a medium mixing bowl, add milk, sugar, cream and vanilla. Mix with a whisk or mixer until sugar is dissolved about 2 mintues.
- Turn on the machine and pour the mixture into the freezer bowl. Mix until thickened about 25 minutes.
- Break Crack Candy into pieces and stir into ice cream.
- Serve soft, as is, or transfer to a freezer safe container with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.