Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Bars recipe has a buttery shortbread crust and topped simply with luscious chocolate and salted pecans.
I love the simplicity of these Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Bars. A buttery shortbread crust is topped with smooth chocolate and salted pecans.
Because there are so few ingredients and each one shines through, I recommend using the best quality ingredients you can afford. Use real butter; I only cook with real butter. Use a good chocolate like Ghirardelli and freshly toasted pecans.
Pecans are my favorite, but you can substitute almonds, cashews, or walnuts. I do recommend toasting them and salting them. Don’t you just love the salty sweet combination!?
Let’s get down to it. This is a simple recipe. Yes, I know it looks fancy, which makes it great for gift giving. But, there are three very simple steps.
- Make the shortbread. Much like making pie crust, you want the butter to be really cold. Right out of the refrigerator cold.
- Melt your chocolate. And, you won’t do this until the shortbread is out of the oven. Read my tips on How to Melt Chocolate here. It has super simple, no-fail tips for getting smooth chocolate without scorching it.
- Toast pecans. Quickly read this post if you are unfamiliar with How to Toast Nuts.
Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces dark chocolate good quality
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick spray.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals. Stir completely between each interval.
- When chocolate is completely melted and smooth pour onto shortbread.
- Smooth evenly with an off-set spatula.
- Immediately sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Allow chocolate to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container.