Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese is buttery, creamy, and just maybe the ultimate comfort food! This easy stovetop recipe is over-the-top delicious and always a crowd-pleaser.
Great for potlucks and weeknight meals alike, this recipe is modeled after my favorite side dish from Cracker Barrel restaurant.
Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese
If you’re a lover of mac and cheese and the blue-box variety, promise me now you’ll try this recipe! You’ll never go back to the blue box. This recipe is just as easy, almost as quick, and the flavor is above and beyond the boxed variety.
This has a cheesy sauce and chewy pasta.
- First of all, I don’t recommend using pre-shredded cheese. It is coated with cornstarch to keep it from clumping. It will alter the recipe, especially the thickness of the sauce. As well, it tastes different.
- Additionally, you can omit the last step. You don’t have to be bake it. I like the cheese to get slightly crispy around the edges though.
- If you are putting it in the oven, be sure not to overcook your pasta. It will continue to cook and absorb moisture in the oven. I like pasta to be al dente. (firm when bitten)
- As well, you can substitute any cheese. Use your favorite or what you have on hand. Yes, it will alter the taste, but if you like the cheese you’ll like it mixed into pasta.
- Finally, try different mix-ins like ham, bacon, vegetables, caramelized onions, and peppers to add a change to traditional mac and cheese.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese Copycat Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 and ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 and ½ cups shredded Colby cheese
- 2 and ½ cups uncooked pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional add-ins 1 cup diced ham, 1 cup cooked bacon, 1 jar drained diced pimentos, 1 cup caramelized onions, or 2 cups steamed broccoli spears.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a separate pot; add salt and pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente then drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add the flour a little bit at a time whisking to combine to make a roux. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat the broth.
- Add the broth to the roux, stirring constantly with the whisk.
- Add cream until it reaches the desired consistency. Remember it will thicken more as it cooks.
- Add shredded cheese to the cream sauce stirring until cheese melts.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Pour the mix into an oven safe dish and bake uncovered in a preheated oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes or until brown around the edges.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!