Copycat Cracker Barrel Restaurant Mac and Cheese Recipe, is buttery, creamy, and just maybe the ultimate comfort food! This easy stovetop recipe is over-the-top delicious and always a crowd-pleaser.
Great for potlucks and weeknight meals alike, this recipe is modeled after my favorite side dish from Cracker Barrel restaurant.
If you’re a lover of mac and cheese and the blue-box variety, promise me now you’ll try this recipe! You’ll never go back to the blue box. This recipe is just as easy, almost as quick, and the flavor is above and beyond the boxed variety.
This has a cheesy sauce and chewy pasta.
Copycat Cracker Barrel Restaurant Mac and Cheese Recipe
- First of all, I don’t recommend the pre-shredded cheese. It is coated with corn starch to keep it from clumping. It will alter the recipe, especially the thickness of the sauce. As well, it tastes different.
- Additionally, you can omit the last step. You don’t have to be bake it. I like the cheese to get slightly crispy around the edges though.
- If you are putting it in the oven, be sure not to overcook your pasta. It will continue to cook and absorb moisture in the oven. I like pasta to be al dente. (firm when bitten)
- As well, you can substitute any cheese. Use your favorite or what you have on hand. Yes, it will alter the taste, but if you like the cheese you’ll like it mixed into pasta.
- Finally, try different mix-ins like ham, bacon, vegetables, caramelized onions, and peppers to add a change to traditional mac and cheese.
More Mac & Cheese
Copycat Cracker Barrel Restaurant Mac and Cheese Recipe developed from my love of mac and cheese. This recipe is creamy and decadent.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1and ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 and ½ cups shredded Colby cheese
- 2 and ½ cups uncooked pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional add-ins 1 cup diced ham, 1 cup cooked bacon, 1 jar drained diced pimentos, 1 cup caramelized onions, or 2 cups steamed broccoli spears.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a separate pot; add salt and pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente then drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add the flour a little bit at a time whisking to combine to make a roux. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat the broth.
- Add the broth to the roux, stirring constantly with the whisk.
Add cream until it reaches the desired consistency. Remember it will thicken more as it cooks.
- Add shredded cheese to the cream sauce stirring until cheese melts.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Pour the mix into an oven safe dish and bake uncovered in a preheated oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes or until brown around the edges.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.