Spinach Goat Cheese Strata, basically a savory bread pudding, this make-ahead recipe is excellent for brunch or lunch with a salad.
Spinach Goat Cheese Strata is a great make-ahead meatless recipe. It’s loaded with good-for-you vegetables and bakes up beautifully.
Prep time for this recipe is a mere 10 minutes, but the longer the bread soaks in that wonderful custard the better it comes out. I recommend mixing it together the night before and allowing it to soak in the refrigerator for 10 to 12 hours before baking.
Brown and cheesy, it’s full of flavor and nutrients. I enjoy the tangy goat cheese, crispy bread, and crunchy red onion slices.
Spinach Goat Cheese Strata
- I lightened my strata by using unsweetened almond milk. You can also use whole, 2%, 1%, or skim milk.
- Kale would make a good substitution for the spinach.
- You may also add more vegetables by adding 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms or bell peppers to this recipe.
- For the bread try sandwich, sourdough, Italian, or ciabatta.
- For tips on baking bread pudding, which also applies to this strata, read this post.
You may also enjoy these brunch dishes.
Spinach Goat Cheese Strata, basically a savory bread pudding, this make-ahead recipe makes an excellent brunch or lunch with a salad
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- If cooking immediately, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If you're allowing the strata to sit for a while sit the strata on the counter for 30 minutes, then preheat the oven.
- Grease a 8 or 9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the zest, mustard, salt, pepper, almond milk, and eggs.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, spinach, onion, and half of the goat cheese. Gently toss to combine and transfer to the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture in the baking dish. Make sure all the ingredients are evenly covered. Press the bread down gently with your hands if necessary to submerge it in the milk mixture.
- Top with the remaining goat cheese
- Bake until the center of the strata is no longer jiggly and the edges are browned about 30 minutes.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.