Creamy Spicy Broccoli Soup, this traditional cheesy soup recipe is hearty and comforting. A little heat comes from tomatoes and green chiles, it’s sure to warm you on a cold night!
Creamy Spicy Broccoli Soup is a whole lot of goodness!
I don’t make soup often, but I’ve been trying to do a ‘meatless meal’ once a week. Studies show going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. It also helps reduce our carbon footprint and saves resources. Once a week without meat isn’t a big sacrifice for all those benefits.
I didn’t tell Big Daddy that I was making Creamy Spicy Broccoli Soup because, frankly, I didn’t think he’d love it. He certainly would never request it. Imagine how surprised I was when he really liked it! He actually ate two bowls full and even had it for lunch the next day.
The reason he liked it so much is because it’s not your typical broccoli soup. I enhanced the flavor by adding a can of tomatoes and green chiles. The heat from this along with the creamy broth base made a good combination.
Creamy Spicy Broccoli Soup Tips
I used roasted garlic for a deeper flavor in my Broccoli Soup. You can use fresh, but the flavor profile will be slightly different. It’s worth the extra step in my opinion to roast the garlic.
I like the creaminess a processed cheese gives this soup. I use Velveeta brand. You can substitute your favorite cheese, it may not have the exact same creamy texture however.
After sauteing the onions and broccoli, you can transfer to a slow cooker (follow me on Instagram for more behind the scenes) or cover and simmer stove top.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 head broccoli chopped (about 3 cups)
- 32 ounce chicken broth I used low sodium organic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves *roasted garlic diced
- 12 ounce cheese grated or cubed
- 1 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chiles, like Ro*tel brand
- Heat a large saute pan to med-high.
- Add oil to pan, when oil is hot add onions and broccoli. Saute' 4 to 5 minutes stirring constantly until onions are translucent and broccoli is tender crisp.
- Remove from heat.
- To a slow cooker set on low, add broth, pepper, garlic, cheese and tomatoes and green chiles
- Add broccoli and onions and stir.
- Cook on low 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
You can use un-roasted garlic, but the flavor profile will be slightly different.I used Velveeta Cheese in this recipe because it makes for a more creamy soup. Shredded cheddar may be substituted if you prefer.You can also cook in a large pot stove top. Cook on simmer with lid on for 1 and 1/2 hours.
More soup recipes like this Creamy Spicy Broccoli Soup