Spicy Creamy Broccoli Soup is a traditional cheesy soup recipe that is hearty and comforting. With a little heat from tomatoes and green chiles, it’s sure to warm you on a cold night!
Spicy Creamy Broccoli Soup
I don’t make soup often, but I’ve been trying to do a ‘meatless meal’ once a week. Studies show going meatless once a week may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. It also helps reduce our carbon footprint and saves resources. Once a week without meat isn’t a big sacrifice for all those benefits.
I didn’t tell Big Daddy that I was making broccoli soup because, frankly, I didn’t think he’d love it. He certainly would never request it. Imagine how surprised I was when he really liked it! He actually ate two bowls full and even had it for lunch the next day.
The reason he liked it so much is that it’s not your typical creamy broccoli soup. I enhanced the flavor by adding a can of tomatoes with green chiles. The heat from this, along with the creamy broth base, are a good combination.
Tips and Subs
I used roasted garlic for a deeper flavor in my Broccoli Soup. You can use fresh, but the flavor profile will be slightly different. It’s worth the extra step in my opinion to roast the garlic.
You can use fresh or frozen broccoli.
As well, I used whole milk. You can use 2% but it won’t be as creamy.
This soup doesn’t freeze well. I’ve never had good results freezing soup with a dairy base. If you know a secret to that please drop me a comment.
More recipes to enjoy
- Classic Tomato Soup with Bagel Bites Croutons
- Old Fashion Beef Steak and Vegetable soup
- Potato Pimento Cheese Slow Cooker Soup
- Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup
Spicy Creamy Broccoli Soup
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 head broccoli chopped (about 3 cups)
- 32 ounces chicken broth I used low sodium organic
- 2 cloves garlic roasted and minced
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated or cubed
- 10 ounces tomatoes with green chiles I used Ro*tel brand
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste, if needed
- Heat a large saute pan to med-high.
- Add oil to the pan, when oil is hot add the onions. Saute' 4 to 5 minutes stirring constantly until onions are translucent.
- Add the broccoli florets, broth, and milk and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking for 5-7 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Toss the cheese with the flour and add to the soup. Stir until melted.
- Stir in tomatoes and green chiles. Add black pepper and salt if needed.
- Simmer 20 minutes. Serve.