Potato Pimento Cheese Soup Recipe | Slow Cooker It’s creamy, hearty & flavorful. Inspired by the popular Pimento Cheese spread, it’s sure to become a favorite!
I don’t even know where Pimento Cheese came from originally. All I know is it was primarily a regional dish until recent times when the internet and Pinterest spread regional favorites far and wide. I didn’t touch the stuff growing up. I was one of those none of my foods could touch on my plate and I ate one item at a time! All I know about Pimento Cheese was my Mom made for church dinners and family reunions.
I’m not the only one confused. There are two recognized spellings of the word pimento. It can be pimento or pimiento. Pimento is the Portuguese word for bell pepper. While Pimiento is derived from the Spanish word.
Of course, my tastes changed and now I love traditional Pimento Cheese. In fact, I made my family’s favorite Pimento Cheese, Jalapeno Pimento Cheese and The Masters Pimento Cheese to name a few and shared with you before!
What is a pimento anyway?
A pimento is a mild pepper. Also know as a cherry pepper, a pimento pepper is a large, red, heart shaped chili pepper. It’s sweet and more aromatic than a red bell pepper. Some varieties are hot. For this recipe and all my Pimento Cheese recipes, I use pimentos that are pickled and jarred.
I decided to take pimento cheese spread and turn it into a soup! Not only a soup, but an easy slow cooker soup! That’s right, there is very little hands on time spend on this recipe. The wonderful slow cooker does the work for you!
Potato Pimento Cheese Soup Recipe | Slow Cooker
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 to 3 pounds potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded (I used a mild cheddar cheese), reserve some for garnish
- 1 4 ounce jar, diced pimento peppers, drained, reserve some for garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream if desired
- 4 to 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- Add onion and potatoes to slow cooker.
- Add chicken stock or broth, salt and pepper. Cook on high until soup is simmering.
- Check potatoes. They are done when they are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, toss grated cheddar in flour to coat.
- After you have the texture you want, add half & half, cheese/flour mixture and pimentos. Cook on medium 30 minutes until cheese is melted and soup has thickened slightly.
- Serve with sour cream, bacon.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and pimento
Hungry for more? Follow on Pinterest
Visit Paula @ CallMePMc.com’s profile on Pinterest.
Slow Cooking on Call Me PMc