3 Cheese Pimento Cheese is a creamy, tangy spread recipe made with three freshly grated kinds of cheese and pimentos. It’s flavorful, versatile, and perfect for sandwiches, burgers, grilled cheese, and as a dip or spread with crackers, mixed into soups, or on mashed potatoes with it.
3 CHEESE PIMENTO CHEESE
- Cheese. For this recipe, I use gouda, cheddar, and cream cheese. Typically, cheddar is used to make pimento cheese. However, you can use any cheese combination that you enjoy. I recommend grating the cheese yourself. The pre-shredded cheese is coated with cornstarch to prevent it from sticking together.
- Pimentos. Pimento peppers are small, sweet, and mild chili peppers. You can substitute fire-roasted red-bell peppers for pimentos. They have more flavor than pimentos but are not spicy.
- Mayonnaise. More Southerners will argue that the only mayonnaise to use is Blue Plate or Duke’s. I agree. However, you can use olive oil mayonnaise. As well, you can sub sour cream or Greek yogurt for mayonnaise. Omitting mayo changes the taste and texture to something other than pimento cheese, in my opinion.
HOW TO MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE
Making pimento cheese is super easy! You will simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir them together. It’s great on burgers, sandwiches, or wraps. It’s also great as a dip served cold or warm.
HOW TO STORE 3 CHEESE PIMENTO CHEESE
Pimento Cheese is a great recipe to make early for a party. Therefore, it’s better to make it 12 to 24 hours before serving.
Store this cheese spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing it.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated January 19, 2013. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
3 Cheese Pimento & Cheese
- Don't use the pre-shredded cheese. I like to shred one cheese or the small side of the grater and the other on the large side. It's just a personal preference, but makes a difference in the texture. Mix grated cheeses with cream cheese, mayonnaise, and next four ingredients. Stir to combine well. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any unused spread.
- Try these options: Grilled Pimento and Cheese, on a hamburger, heated and served as a dip.
- Variations: add 1/2 chopped pecans and 1/2 diced pepperoncini or jalapeno peppers