3 Cheese Pimento Cheese is a creamy, tangy spread recipe made with three freshly grated kinds of cheese and pimentos. It’s flavorful, versatile, and perfect for sandwiches, burgers, grilled cheese, and as a dip or spread with crackers, mixed into soups, or on mashed potatoes with it.
3 CHEESE PIMENTO CHEESE
- Cheese. For this recipe, I use gouda, cheddar, and cream cheese. Typically, cheddar is used to make pimento cheese. However, you can use any cheese combination that you enjoy. I recommend grating the cheese yourself. The pre-shredded cheese is coated with cornstarch to prevent it from sticking together.
- Pimentos. Pimento peppers are small, sweet, and mild chili peppers. You can substitute fire-roasted red-bell peppers for pimentos. They have more flavor than pimentos but are not spicy.
- Mayonnaise. More Southerners will argue that the only mayonnaise to use is Blue Plate or Duke’s. I agree. However, you can use olive oil mayonnaise. As well, you can sub sour cream or Greek yogurt for mayonnaise. Omitting mayo changes the taste and texture to something other than pimento cheese, in my opinion.
HOW TO MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE
Making pimento cheese is super easy! You will simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir them together. It’s great on burgers, sandwiches, or wraps. It’s also great as a dip served cold or warm.
For a nice presentation as shown, hollow out a small, round loaf of bread and fill it with the cheese spread.
HOW TO STORE 3 CHEESE PIMENTO CHEESE
Pimento Cheese is a great recipe to make early for a party. Therefore, it’s better to make it 12 to 24 hours before serving.
Store this cheese spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing it.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE, CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Overnight Sausage Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Breakfast Casserole
- Best Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Pizza
- Breakfast Grilled Sausage Cheese
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated January 19, 2013. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
3 Cheese Pimento & Cheese
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Don’t use the pre-shredded cheese. I like to shred one cheese or the small side of the grater and the other on the large side. It’s just a personal preference, but makes a difference in the texture. Mix grated cheeses with cream cheese, mayonnaise, and next four ingredients. Stir to combine well. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any unused spread.
- Try these options: Grilled Pimento and Cheese, on a hamburger, heated and served as a dip.
- Variations: add 1/2 chopped pecans and 1/2 diced pepperoncini or jalapeno peppers
Robin Abbott says
Please clarify amount of cheese…recipe says 2 cups (8 oz). Thanks.
An 8 oz block of cheese will yield 2 cups grated. You need 2 cups grated gouda and 2 cups grated cheddar/colby mix.
Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm says
Oh now you're talking..again..! I love pimento cheese, but not the store bought kind! Pinning this one! I may just have to make a board for you alone!!
Emily Thompson says
this looks so yummy! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations! You are being featured at this weeks party. Your project has been pinned and shared on my facebook page. The new party will be live Monday evening.
You know I just love this dip that you made! So much so that I am going to feature it at tonight's Marvelous Mondays party. 🙂
Hope you're having a great weekend!
Leslie Stewart says
My daughter loves pimento cheese. I will have to try this one! Thanks for sharing it at my linky party! Have a great day!
House on the Way
Kim of Mo Betta says
I love pimento cheese, but I always use cheddar (bor-ring!) I need to try this variation!
YuM! That looks great. I am usually not a pimento fan, but this looks amazing.
I'm loving this, Paula! It looks really good and I love the presentation of the dish! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays. Pinned and about to be shared on my Facebook page! 🙂
I love the idea of adding jalapenos! Yum!
Hopping over from the Chicken Chick
Michell Pulliam says
I.Love.Pimento.Cheese, especially pimento cheese toast! I usually get store bought though, but I think I'll now make it myself…so it'll always be at my disposal,lol! Thanks for the easy recipe! Dropping by from the Let's Get Social Sunday blog hop…following you now.
Michell @Prowess and Pearls
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
I love pimento cheese 🙂 Never tried mixing three cheeses though! Pinning.
OK YUM! Thats all I have to say! I will make this oneday!