Classic Tomato Soup with Bagel Bites Croutons Silky tomato soup is paired with flavorful three cheese Bagel Bites for a comforting lunch or after school snack.
There is nothing more comforting than soup! It makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over. As a mom, it warms my heart to provide healthy meals and snacks to my boys. I cook a lot and although I don’t make everything homemade all the time, I’m pretty confident that most moms don’t make homemade tomato soup, homemade sourdough bread or homemade chocolate chip cookies for after school snacks.
I know, I spoil them. What’s even funnier, in a strange kind of way, is that my boys love healthy after school snacks as much as they love cookies for snacks. They love a bowl of this hot Tomato Soup with Bagel Bites Croutons…. they really love it full of Bagel Bites croutons!!! Maybe you could even say they like the tomato soup as a dip for Bagel Bites! Either way, I’m still getting quality snacks in them! Bagel Bites are a fun, quick and convenient snack, which is crucial for after school!
Bagel Bites are full of real cheese – Mozzarella, Cheddar and Monterey Jack! They’re all my favorites! And the bagel dough is made from scratch every day with high-quality ingredients with 0 grams of trans fat per serving! That’s important to me!
While this rich and tasty homemade Tomato Soup is simmering, I toast the Bagel Bites as directed on the package. Then, I cut them into cubes and float them in the center of a warm bowl of soup. Comfort in a bowl! Adding Bagel Bites croutons adds a whole other dimension to this soup.
I used the Three Cheese flavor of Bagel Bites, but any variety would be equally as tasty. The soft, pillowy inside of the bagel, crisp outside, along with the creamy cheese and tangy tomato sauce contrasts nicely to the silky tomato soup. Contrasting textures and flavors makes every bite a sensory overload.
Sign up for my once-per-week Newsletter and get my latest recipes first!
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cups low salt chicken broth
- 28 ounce whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven to medium high.
- Add oil, when oil ripples add onion.
- Saute' without browning, 5 to 6 minutes. Onions should be soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute' 2 minutes, stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk to make sure flour doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Heat Bagel Bites as directed on package.
- Cut into cubes and float in bowls of tomato soup.
- Serve hot.