Sausage Crawfish Poutine Cheese Fries recipe is a base of crispy fries with a light brown gravy and melted pimento cheese spread. It’s hearty, spicy, filling.
I was inspired by Kelly English’s Oxford, MS restaurant, Second Line, that offers a Louisiana Cheese Fries with Crawfish and Gravy on the menu. My restaurant remake is spicy and filling. Layered on a base of crispy fries is a savory, brown gravy, crawfish tails, and sausage. Melted on top is a generous portion of pimento cheese spread.
Serve this as an appetizer or meal.
What is poutine? Poutine is a Canadian dish made with french fries and cheese curds topped with a light brown gravy. I’m calling this ‘poutine’ even though it doesn’t have the traditional cheese curd topping. This Sausage Crawfish Poutine Cheese Fries recipe is my Southern translation of that a traditional poutine recipe.
Sausage Crawfish Poutine Cheese Fries
- You can use olive oil mayonnaise in the pimento cheese in this recipe.
- I prefer to shred a mild cheddar for the pimento cheese myself. You may use a pre-shredded cheese, I recommend the brand I used in theis reicpe.
- I have used both homemade fries and frozen fries in this recipe. This particular time I used a frozen waffle fry and cooked it in the oven according to the package directions. I have also hand-cut russet potatoes and fried them. Both ways are good and it basically depends on how much time I have whether I opt for the quicker frozen fry or make them homemade.
or follow me on email, sign up is the top right of each page on this site.
- PIMENTO CHEESE RECIPE you will need 1 cup for poutine
- 2 ounces pimentos undrained
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos diced
- 8- ounce shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise you can substitute olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- SAUSAGE GRAVY
- 1 to 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound sausage andouille or pork breakfast sausage
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon or 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 to 5 cups cooked french fries (You can use fresh or frozen. I used frozen waffle fries this particular time.
- 1/2 pound cooked shelled crawfish tails
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
PIMENTO CHEESE RECIPE
Mix all the ingredients together for the pimento cheese.
Taste, adjust seasoning if necessary.
Refrigerate until ready to use. You can make this 1 or 2 days early.
In a medium skillet (I prefer a cast iron skillet for gravy.), heat the oil
Add the sausage, and cook over medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes. The sausage will be a little crispy and browned and the fat rendered. (You need 2 to 3 tablespoons total of fat. If your sausage doesn't render this much, add more canola oil to the pan.)
Add the onion and cook about 3 minutes.
Add the red pepper and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until incorporated.
Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
Cook until the gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take about 5 minutes.
Cook fries. You can deep fry or bake whichever you like best. For frozen and baked, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Spread fries in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake according to package directions, usually 20 to 25 minutes. Flip to the second side half way through the time.
PUT THE POUTINE TOGETHER
When fries are cooked, transfer to a oven-save serving dish.
Spread the sausage and crawfish over the fries.
Spoon the gravy on top. Dollop 1 cup pimento cheese mixture over fries and gravy. (Reserve remaining pimento cheese for another use, as a dip or sandwich spread.)
Return poutine to oven for about 5 minutes or until everything is hot and pimento cheese is bubbly and melted.
Top with tomato and green onion.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
or follow me on email at the top right corner of this site.
If you like Sausage Crawfish Poutine Cheese Fries, you may also like these recipes.
Or, you make like these sauces to go with your fries!