My millionaire bars recipe makes a delicious caramel and chocolate dessert! It has a combination of deliciously crumbly shortbread, smooth, gooey caramel, salty, crunchy pretzels, and a drizzle of dark chocolate. It’s a dangerously delicious, tasty treat that everyone loves.
I’ve been wanting to make this millionaire shortbread recipe forever! I originally got the idea for it from the Cooking Channel show, Unique Sweets. Do you ever watch it? I get hungry every time I watch it. Kind of like when I’m cruising on Pinterest! Now that will make you hungry too!
Millionaire Bars Recipe
These bars have a shortbread crust. It’s actually my shortbread cookie recipe pressed into a 9×13-inch pan. I adore shortbread cookies, both the dough and cooked. (Does that sound weird? My boys and I get as much cookie dough as we do cooked cookies when we make cookies together. It’s our thing!)
Tips for Making Millionaire Shortbread Bars
- One very important tip, that I actually failed to do this time. I swear I’ll never forget again! Line your pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray the pan, then spray the paper with non-stick spray. They will come out of the pan so much cleaner and easier if you’ll do this. Plus, the pan will be easier to clean as well.
- Also, use real butter. It makes all the difference in shortbread recipes.
- I used Wilton candy melts for the chocolate, you can use chocolate chips or chocolate baking bar.
- Be patient when cooking the condensed milk. Stir it constantly and don’t walk away from it. It really scorches easily.
Some of my pecan pie inspired recipes are the most popular on my site. You will want to try them too!
Other Shortbread Recipes To Make
- Chocolate Pecan Sandies Secret Kiss Cookies
- Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Bars
- Mexican style Pecan Chocolate Squares
Crunchy Millionaire Bars Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 cup butter no substitutions
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14- ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick spray.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk and butter. slowly bring mixture to a low boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick.
- This will take about 15 minutes. Stir constantly and do not walk away, caramel scorches easily.
- Pour caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Immediately top with crushed pretzels and gently press pretzels into caramel.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth. Stir between each 30-second interval.
- Transfer chocolate to a zip-top bag.
- Snip corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over bars.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container.
This is delicious! I had a bit of trouble with the melted chocolate, but the overall flavor makes up for the messy look!
plasterers bristol says
Oh wow, this is my faorite treat ever. and this recipe turned out just perfect for us. Thanks for sharing.
Mary // chattavore says
This looks delicious, Paula!
This looks delicious….I may try it with salted chopped almonds. Thank you for sharing so many yummy recipes..
What a fabulous treat to indulge in! These look so good, Paula! xo, Catherine