Fish Nachos are quick, easy, great for a crowd, and packed with awesome flavors! Plus, this recipe is fun and easy to make. Tortilla chips are topped with fish, onions, peppers, and cheese and baked until hot.
Inspired by my love of fish tacos, Fish Nachos are just as good and maybe even easier to make. They’re fun to eat too!
You know that unspoken rule when eating nachos that you stay on your side of the platter? Well, I’m the person that’ll reach all the way over to the opposite side of the dish to get that one chip that’s full of all the toppings! 😏 There are no boundaries in my nacho-chip-eating rulebook!
There’s also no boundaries when it comes to toppings. If you like lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, etc go ahead and add it. That’s another beautiful thing about nachos, they can easily be made to accommodate any taste preference.
HOW TO MAKE FISH NACHOS
- I like to use tilapia, but you can use any mild fish.
- Most noteworthy, fish cuts more easily when it’s frozen or slightly thawed.
- I seasoned the fish with Joe’s Stuff Seasoning blend. It has salt, herbs & spices, dehydrated garlic, paprika, dehydrated onion. You can order at that link or you can use another Cajun seasoning blend such as Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning, McCormick Cajun Seasoning, or Louisiana Cajun Seasoning. You can also season with blackening seasoning if you have that on hand.
- My favorite chips are On the Border Tortilla Chips, but you can use whatever tortilla chips you have or prefer. There are a lot of tortilla chips available now blue, gluten-free, organized, low-salt, cauliflower, and sweet potato to name a few. Choose what you like best.
- I used cheddar cheese and feta cheese. I really like the tang of feta, but if you don’t like it substitute Monterrey or mozzarella. As well, you can omit the feta and double the cheddar.
HOW LONG TO BAKE THE NACHOS
The nachos will be ready once the cheese is melted. Typically, it takes mine about 10 minutes. However, cook time depends on how many toppings you have. Watch the chips carefully to avoid over-cooking them. Tortilla chips can burn fairly easily. They’re ready as soon as they start to brown.
WHILE YOU’RE HERE CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES
- Chicken and Shrimp Nachos
- Sausage Crawfish Poutine Cheese Fries
- Cajun Etouffee Nachos
- Italian Nachos
- Loaded Nachos
- Greek Seafood Nachos
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces tilapia fillets cubed
- ½ tablespoon Joe's seasoning Get Joe's Stuff seasoning here, see post above for substitutions
- 5 cups tortilla chips 4 to 5 handfulls
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper cubed
- ½ cup red bell pepper cubed
- 1 medium jalapeno diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 medium green onions green part only, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat the oven to broil 450°F. Cut tilapia and season.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia cubes and cook 1 to 2 minutes, turning and stirring to cook throughout until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from heat and transfer the fish to a separate plate to cool.
- Saute' peppers and onion until soft.
- While the fish is cooking, spread the chips out evenly on a large baking sheet.
- Top with fish.
- Top with peppers and onions
- Finally, sprinkle cheese over the nachos evenly.
- Place the sheet in the oven under the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Do not step away, they will burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven, then top the chips evenly with additional toppings if desired or serve as is.
You can also find great recipes at my recipe index or at Meal Plan Monday or Weekend Potluck
Paula Jones says
You're welcome, thanks for visiting. I love the Nacho Bar idea!
I tried these a few weeks ago and loved them. September 24th the Packers will be playing the Seahawks on Monday night football. Planning on watching the game outside with the new wireless receiver. Decided to have a nacho bar as the snacks. I'll be offering the fish mixture and a brat mixture as the main choices along with the regular toppings. If the weather doesn't cooperate everything is easily moved to the basement.
Thanks so much for the recipe.
Paula Jones says
Thanks guys! We love them, having them again tonight because they're so easy! I'm sneaking in baked chips and the kidlets will never know!!!
Mmmmm mmmm!!!! I love fish and nachos! So, why not eat them together:) I'm definitely pinning this for later!!!
Fish nachos made you a winner! I am featuring this on my blog today! Thanks for sharing, and hosting, Marvelous Mondays last week. 🙂
Cheerios and Lattes says
These look great! Thanks for linking up on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back again this week with some more of you great ideas.
These look scrumptious. Cheers
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
Why have I never thought to use fish when making nachos?! Pinning this also! I'm also your newest follower via GFC … Hope to see you back next week – Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!
Yvonne @ StoneGable says
YUMMY! These looks scrumptious! And your boys are just adorable!
Thanks Janet and Ashley – I love just about any nachos. My husband finished those and said “That was a good appetizer!” ha!! I had to make him more.
No, thank you for allowing me to co-host! Hope you're having a great day!
Thanks for sharing these on Marvelous Mondays! And, a huge thank you for co-hosting! 🙂
I'm with Janet, I've had (and love) fish tacos but never fish nachos. I will definitely be pinning this one to try later!
Well, yum! I've had fish tacos before but not fish nachos. These look tasty.
Ok. I haven't eaten lunch yet. Now I wish I had these in front of me because they look so GOOD! 🙂