Easy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Recipe are perfectly soft and gooey in the center with crisp, chewy edges. A simple recipe that I love to bake and eat! It’s sure to become your favorite too.
Easy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
About this Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Recipe, peanut butter cookies were the first cookie I made. My parents weren’t chocolate lovers (crazy, right?!) so chocolate chip cookies weren’t an option. It’s all good though, I love the simplicity of peanut butter cookies. There are some peanut butter cookies recipes that have only four ingredients. These have more than that, but they’re still easy to make. Basically, dump it in a bowl and combine it!
The addition of oatmeal gives these cookies a nice change from traditional peanut butter cookies. They’re rich and soft but the oatmeal lightens them so they’re not so heavy tasting.
If you eat just the inside of a peanut butter cup, that’s what these cookies taste like, especially the dough. So good!
When measuring flour you’ll want to first sift it, then use a scoop to fill your measuring cup. Lastly, level the cup with the back of a knife or something flat. This measures flour more accurately than the scoop and sweep method.
When you weigh a cup of flour that’s been measured the ‘scoop and sweep’ method, it’ll weigh about 5 ounces. A standard cup should weigh 4.25 ounces.
You’ll get a much more accurate measurement using the method I used above. If you want to be dead-on correct you should weigh all ingredients instead of using the cups. If you’ve ever had a heavy, dry cake or cookies the culprit may lie in incorrectly measuring the flour.
Store cookie dough in fridge in an airtight container 12 hours or in freezer up to 4 weeks.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oats quick-cooking
- Preheat oven to 350°F. (175 degrees C)
- In a bowl combine shortening, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt and stir into creamed mixture.
- Mix in oats until just combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
- Using a quick-release scoop, drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I like to line mine with a silicone mat.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until just lightly browned. Cook time will vary depending on how big your cookies are. I used 2 tablespoons of dough and baked for 9 minutes. I prefer soft, chewy cookies. Bake longer if you like crisp cookies.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.