Famous Potato Salad is a classic. It’s creamy and smooth and always a favorite. This recipe is a delectable side dish that pairs perfectly with any main entree. It’s a perfect summer potluck take-along!
Famous Potato Salad
Everyone who has ever tried this Potato Salad gives it rave reviews. You won’t believe how simple this ingredient list is or the ingredient that makes it so creamy! Unlike most potato salads that have cubes or chunks of potatoes, this potato salad is smooth and creamy. It has a consistency much like mashed potatoes.
This potato salad is legendary in Tupelo. I have friends from out of town who insist on eating at this little unassuming restaurant (that many other out-of-towners by-pass) just to eat the Potato Salad.
It’s that good!
Ingredients you’ll need
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post.
- Red potatoes.
- Green bell pepper.
- Pimentso, diced.
- Blue Plate Mayonnaise, only. Blue Plate brans was specifically stated.
- French’s yello mustard.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe can be prepared the night before and will be ready to go for your party, bbq, or potluck!
Process bell pepper fine in a food processor and saute’ lightly.
Boil five pounds of red potatoes with skin on.
Puree one onion in a food processor until it is finely minced. Drain as much liquid as you can off.
Saute’ onions and peppers until soft they are soft. They’ll sweat out a good bit of liquid, allow that to evaporate.
Process pimento and add them to you skillet with the onions and peppers. Saute’ until heated through.
Allow the potatoes to cool enough so that you can handle them with you hands. Peel potatoes. You can use your hands to peel them, the peeling will slide off easily.
Combine the sauteed vegetables (your onions, peppers, and pimentos), salt, and pepper with a spoon, not a mixer, until everything is nicely combined.
Some people like to eat the potato salad while it’s warm. While others, prefer it chilled. It’s good both ways in my opinion. Try it and see how you like it best.
More recipes you’ll enjoy.
- Jalapeno & Cheese Grilled Chicken
- Loaded Steakhouse Potato Salad
- Asian Salad with Sweet & Sour Dressing
- Easy Strawberry Cake
Famous Potato Salad
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped fine in food processor
- 1 medium onion chopped fine in food processor then let stand in mesh strainer to allow liquid to drain out
- 4 ounces pimentos not drained, chopped fine in food processor
- ¾ quart Blue Plate Brand Mayonnaise*
- 7 teaspoons yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil 5 lbs red potatoes, do not peel. After cooking, peel potatoes under cool running water then mash.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and pimentos to a non-stick saute pan and cook until soft.
- Add the softened vegetables to the potatoes along with mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Mix with a spoon, not a mixer, until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.